Lord's Supper. Eucharist. Communion. Sacrament. Ordinance. Regardless of the many titles used to refer to the Christian meal, it is a central focus in Christian worship.
While it's the meal that should unite us as followers of Christ, it sometimes appears we can't even agree on what to call it, let alone how we might share a common theological view of its significance. Even if we cannot reach full agreement, how can we better understand one another and this central observance of the Christian faith?
Gordon Smith has invited five representatives of differing views within the Christian tradition. Each holds his or her views with conviction and makes the case for that tradition. Each responds to the other views with charity, highlighting significant areas of agreement and disagreement.
The views and contributors include
- The Roman Catholic View—Brother Jeffrey Gros, F.S.C., Professor of Church History, Memphis Theological Seminary, Memphis, Tennessee
- The Lutheran View—John R. Stephenson, Professor of Historical Theology, Concordia Lutheran Theological Seminary, St. Catherines, Ontario
- The Reformed View—Leanne Van Dyk, Academic Dean and Professor of Reformed Theology, Western Theological Seminary, Holland, Michigan
- The Baptist View—Roger E. Olson, Professor of Theology, George W. Truett Theological Seminary, Waco, Texas
- The Pentecostal View—Veli-Matti Kärkkäinen, Professor of Systematic Theology, Fuller Theological Seminary, Pasadena, California.
With the Logos edition of The Lord's Supper: Five Views, you can easily access Scripture passages by simply scrolling the mouse cursor over the verse reference. What’s more, the Logos edition of this title gives you easy access to a wealth of other resources in your digital library!
- Provides clear, up-to-date descriptions of the theology of the Lord's Supper from five theological traditions
- Points of convergence and divergence are highlighted by responses from the other four traditions
- Helpful context for theological reflection offered by the editor
- Title: The Lord’s Supper: Five Views
- Author: Gordon T. Smith
- Publisher: IVP
- Publication Date: 2008
- Pages: 159
About Gordon Smith
Gordon T. Smith grew up in Ecuador and is president of reSource Leadership International, which works with other reSource affiliates to support and enable excellence in theological education in the developing world. Formerly academic dean and associate professor of spiritual theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia, he has also taught in the Philippines and at Canadian Bible College and Theological Seminary in Regina, Saskatchewan. Smith has also served as the senior pastor of two congregations and as associate pastor of Tenth Avenue Alliance Church in Vancouver, and more recently has provided interim teaching ministry at several churches. He is the author of Beginning Well, Courage and Calling, Listening to God in Times of Choice and The Voice of Jesus.