Have you ever been tempted to think that a loving, all-wise, and all-powerful God is not the one in control of your circumstances? Dr. Layton Talbert takes you on a journey through the Scriptures to trace the unmistakable outline of God’s shadow on human events. Survey God’s providence in the pages of the Bible, consider examples of His rule over history, and translate the practical reality of His providence into the here and now of your life.
Logos gives you the ability to study Christian principles and understand Christian living in the context of modern issues. All Scripture references are linked to your preferred Bible translation, which means you can have your Bible open alongside the books you’re reading. Plus, with the advanced search features of Logos Bible Software, you can perform powerful searches by topic or Scripture reference, making Bible study easier than ever before.
- Discusses the idea of providence and its place in Scripture
- Presents examples of God’s providence in the Bible and in church history
- Provides Scripture references for every topic
- Who Is in Charge?
- What Is Providence?
- The Preserving Providence of God over Man
- The Preserving Providence of God over Creation
- Governing Providence: A Case Study
- The Mystery of Providence
- The Means of Providence
- Silent Providence
- Problems of Providence
- Providence in the Incarnation of Christ
- Providence in the Passion of Christ
- Providence in the Church
- Providence and Prayer
Praise for the Print Edition
A lasting contribution . . . read this outstanding work prayerfully.
—Mark Minnick, from the Foreword
The most thorough and balanced treatment I’ve seen.
—Paul W. Downey, senior pastor, Temple Baptist Church, Athens, GA
- Title: Not by Chance: Learning to Trust a Sovereign God
- Author: Layton Talbert
- Publisher: BJU Press
- Publication Date: 2001
- Pages: 336
About Layton Talbert
Layton Talbert teaches theology and New Testament exposition at Bob Jones University Seminary.