The theme of the March 2006 issue of Tabletalk is the Fundamentalist–Modernist Controversy of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. As the spirit of the Enlightenment embraced by modernists began to infiltrate churches and seminaries across America, the orthodox fundamentalists rose in opposition. The ensuing battle resulted in polarized ideas of what constitutes “Christianity,” denominational splits, and internal struggles that continue even to this day. This issue of Tabletalk, while by no means intended to provide a complete history of the controversy, will aim to present several of its highlights by exploring its historical and theological ramifications for today’s evangelicals.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with D.G. Hart, W. Robert Godfrey, John Piper, and R.C. Sproul Jr. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
The 2006 Bible studies take a careful look at the book of Genesis.
- "Passionate Complacency" by Burk Parsons
- "The Liberal Agenda" by R. C. Sproul
- "Holding the Line" by D. G. Hart
- "Faithful Vigilance" by W. Robert Godfrey
- "Telling the Truth" by Robert Rothwell
- "Favor in God's Eyes" by Derek W. H. Thomas
- "The City of God and the Cities of Men" by Warren A. Gage
- "The Author of All Beauty" by John M. Duncan
- "Machen's God-Centered Vision" by John Piper
- "Our Fundamentalist Betters" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "Confounding the Postmodern Mind" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, March 2006: Defending the Faith
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: March 2006
- Pages: 63
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.