Tabletalk Magazine, November 2006: The Lord's Supper
Ligonier Ministries 2006
The theme of the November 2006 issue of Tabletalk is the Lord’s Supper. In Geneva, John Calvin instructed ministers to take great care when administering this sacrament. They were to preach that “although we see only bread and wine, let us not doubt that…Jesus is our heavenly bread, to feed and nourish us unto life eternal.” In many evangelical churches today, the Lord’s Supper is all but relegated to the shelf. This is not surprising, especially when many a church’s desire is to show the world that they are not much different than the so-called “seekers.” For this reason, this issue of Tabletalk will aim to present a succinct, Calvinian and biblical understanding of the Lord’s Supper.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with Tom Ascol, Terry Johnson, Robert Letham, Keith A. Mathison, R.C. Sproul Jr., and Gene Edward Veith. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
The 2006 Bible studies take a careful look at the book of Genesis.
- "A Visible Proclamation" by Burk Parsons
- "The Battle for the Table" by R. C. Sproul
- "Calvin's Doctrine of the Lord's Supper" by Keith A. Mathison
- "Given for You" by Robert Letham
- "Worthy Partaking: Examining the Heart" by Tom Ascol
- "Left Behind by Grace Alone" by Chris Donato
- "Sodom and Gomorrah" by Derek W. H. Thomas
- "The Kindness and the Severity of God
- "Responding to a Holy God" by J. C. Poole
- "The New Covenant Meal" by Terry Johnson
- "Discerning the Body" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "This is My Body" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, November 2006: The Lord's Supper
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: November 2006
- Pages: 63
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.