The various authors of the New Testament find themselves at odds with many proponents of the church growth movement on one important point: the ability of man to listen and respond to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It takes more than simply finding an individual’s felt needs to convince them of the truth; it takes a sovereign act of grace. The only target audience to receive the Gospel is the audience God Himself has targeted. The theme of the October 2007 issue of Tabletalk focuses on church growth by exploring the proper means through which the church grows, the principles of which are found in Scripture, not in clever programs or manipulative preaching on felt needs.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with Mark Dever, Ligon Duncan, Cornelius Hedgman, Carl Robbins, R.C. Sproul Jr., and Gene Edward Veith. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
Since Genesis has such a prominent place in history, the 2007 Bible studies continue from 2006 with Part 2 of this book.
- "Church Growth and the Sovereignty of God" by Burk Parsons
- "Good Intentions Gone Bad" by R. C. Sproul
- "God-Given Growth" by Mark Dever
- "The Ordinary Means of Growth" by Ligon Duncan
- "To the Ends of the Earth" by Cornelius of Hegeman
- "Remembering God's Grace" by Chris Donato
- "The Decree of God" by Derek W. H. Thomas
- "The Emblem of Full Forgiveness" by Warren A. Gage
- "The Witness of Love and Forgiveness" by Geoff Stevens
- "That They May Be One" by A Pastor's Perspective
- "Pragmatic Principle" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "Corporate Reverence" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, October 2007: Church Growth
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: October 2007
- Pages: 83
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.