This is a landmark volume on the Song of Solomon featuring the work of Johann Gottfried Heder, an eighteenth century thinker and theologian. Author John D. Baildam summarizes Heder’s thinking and philosophies, including his methods of analyzing both poetry and the Bible. Herder’s work in poetry informed his extensive writing on the Song of Solomon. Paradisal Love includes comparisons of Herder’s methodologies with other interpretations—as well as various translations of the Song of Solomon by other German philosophers, including Martin Luther and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.
- Critical interpretations of the Song of Solomon
- Ideal for students and professors
- Includes helpful notes and cross-references for further study
- This volume contains a bibliography and indexes
- Title: Paradisal Love
- Author: John D. Baildam
- Publisher: Sheffield Academic Press
- Publication Date: 1999
- Pages: 398
About John D. Baildam
John D. Baildam is a biblical scholar and Director of Academic Affairs at Newbold College, England.