This comprehensive, conversational book is for anyone who wants to understand and apply the Bible—and the New Testament in particular—in a responsible, well-informed, and God-glorifying way. Naselli is an able guide, walking readers through a carefully field-tested twelve-stage interpretive process that pastors, scholars, teachers, and laypeople can use with benefit. With engaging illustrations and practical answers at their fingertips, readers will master the skills needed to deepen understanding and shape theology with confidence and wisdom.
In the Logos edition, this volume is enhanced by amazing functionality. Important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Perform powerful searches to find exactly what you’re looking for. Take the discussion with you using tablet and mobile apps. With Logos Bible Software, the most efficient and comprehensive research tools are in one place, so you get the most out of your study.
- Shows how to move from genre to textual criticism, take Greek grammar and literary context into account, and journey through the passage all the way to practical application
- Teaches how to track an author’s thought-flow, grasp the text’s message, and apply the ancient Word in this modern world, all in light of Christ’s redeeming work
- Explains how to go further in your studies using the extensive recommended resources for every step of the way
- Genre: Establish Guidelines for Interpreting a Passage’s Style of Literature
- Textual Criticism: Establish the Original Wording
- Translation: Compare Translations
- Greek Grammar: Understand How Sentences Communicate by Words, Phrases, and Clauses
- Argument Diagram: Trace the Logical Argument by Arcing, Bracketing, or Phrasing
- Historical-Cultural Context: Understand the Situation in Which the Author Composed the Literature and Any Historical-Cultural Details That the Author Mentions or Probably Assumes
- Literary Context: Understand the Role That a Passage Plays in Its Whole Book
- Word Studies: Unpack Key Words, Phrases, and Concepts
- Biblical Theology: Study How the Whole Bible Progresses, Integrates, and Climaxes in Christ
- Historical Theology: Survey and Evaluate How Significant Exegetes and Theologians Have Understood the Bible and Theology
- Systematic Theology: Discern How a Passage Theologically Coheres with the Whole Bible
- Practical Theology: Apply the Text to Yourself, the Church, and the World
- Conclusion: Look at the Book!
- Appendix A: Why You Should Organize Your Personal Theological Library and a Way How
- Appendix B: Why and How to Memorize an Entire New Testament Book
Praise for the Print Edition
Skill in reading God’s Word serves the sweetness of relishing God’s glory. So choose your reading guides wisely. Andy Naselli is one of the best.
—John Piper, founder and teacher, Desiring God
A truly one-stop-shopping resource. An outstanding tool not likely ?to be superseded anytime soon.
—Craig L. Blomberg, distinguished professor of New Testament, Denver Seminary
An outstanding resource. [Naselli’s book] is wonderfully clear and accessible and hence interesting to read. At the same time, it is packed with information so that readers are instructed in the art of interpretation. There are many resources out there on how to interpret the Scriptures, but this is surely one of the best.
—Thomas R. Schreiner, James Buchanan Harrison Professor of New Testament Interpretation and associate dean, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
I cannot think of another introduction to New Testament exegesis that combines this degree of clarity and comprehensiveness, all with the design of helping us live in light of the gospel for the glory of God.
—Justin Taylor, executive vice president of book publishing and book publisher, Crossway
About Andrew David Naselli
Andrew David Naselli (PhD) is assistant professor of New Testament and biblical theology at Bethlehem College and Seminary in Minneapolis.