Although Easter is the most significant event in the Christian year, we rarely take time to explore what it means in detail. So much attention is given to Lent, yet the theology of resurrection is central not only to what we believe about God and Jesus but to our understanding of ourselves. Following the pattern of her Advent book, The Meaning Is in the Waiting, Paula Gooder leads us on a biblical exploration of the resurrection accounts in each of the Gospels and in Paul’s writings, as well as the account of the Ascension and coming of the Spirit at Pentecost in Acts.
Arranged for daily reading through the seven weeks of Eastertide, This Risen Existence opens with an extended reflection on ancient and contemporary understandings of resurrection. Subsequent chapters lead us on an exciting journey of discovery through the New Testament narratives in a quest to discover what resurrection tells us about life after death, the end times, and what it actually means to be a Christian.
In the Logos edition, this volume is enhanced by amazing functionality. Important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Perform powerful searches to find exactly what you’re looking for. Take the discussion with you using tablet and mobile apps. With Logos Bible Software, the most efficient and comprehensive research tools are in one place, so you get the most out of your study.
- Journey through the biblical stories and ideas about resurrection
- Explore what the resurrection meant to a first-century Jewish audience
- Learn how the resurrection can transform your day-to-day life now
- Introduction: Resurrection: A Reflection
- One: Loose Ends: The Resurrection and Mark’s Gospel
- Two: Dramatic Events: The Resurrection and Matthew’s Gospel
- Three: On the Way: The Resurrection and Luke’s Gospel
- Four: Lifted up: The Resurrection and John’s Gospel
- Five: Life and Death: The Resurrection and the Epistles
- Six: At the Right Hand of God: The Ascension
- Seven: Spirit-filled Lives: Pentecost
About Paula Gooder
Paula Gooder is Theologian in Residence for Bible Society and a Reader in the Church of England. She is author of Searching for Meaning (2008), the best-selling Lent course, Lentwise (2010), and Heaven (2011).