Your Custom Discount
Luke: Storyteller, Interpreter, Evangelist provides an engaging window into this Gospel writer and equips readers with fresh insight to approach their study of Luke and Acts. Author Mikeal C. Parsons has written on Luke extensively, and now approaches Luke from three distinct angles in this text: “Luke as Storyteller,” “Luke as Interpreter,” and “Luke as Evangelist,” offering a compelling look at the historical Luke.
In the first section, Parsons skilfully discusses Luke as a storyteller within the context of ancient Hellenistic rhetorical criticism and tradition. In the second section, he takes a unique approach by examining Luke as an interpreter of pagan, Jewish, and Christian traditions, and exploring Luke’s treatment of traditional materials and social conventions. And last, in the third section, Parsons examines Luke’s “view of the Jesus event as a light for revelation to the Gentiles and for the glory of the people of Israel.”
In the Logos edition, this valuable volume is enhanced by amazing functionality. Scripture citations link directly to English translations, and important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Perform powerful searches to find exactly what you’re looking for. Take the discussion with you using tablet and mobile apps. With Logos Bible Software, the most efficient and comprehensive research tools are in one place, so you get the most out of your study.
- Offers an multifaceted examination of the historical Luke
- Includes a fresh exploration of Luke as an interpreter of pagan, Jewish, and Christian traditions
- Provides exegesis on specific passages of the Gospel of Luke
- Chapter 1: The Life of a Legend: The Making of “Luke”
- Chapter 2: Luke and the Progymnasmata: A Preliminary Investigation into the Preliminary Exercises
- Chapter 3: Luke 1:1–4 and Ancient Rhetoric Introduction
- Chapter 4: Interpreting Pagan Traditions: Friendship and Physiognomy
- Chapter 5: Interpreting Jewish Traditions: Jerusalem and the Suffering Servant
- Chapter 6: Interpreting Christian Traditions: Parables and Paul Introduction
- Chapter 7: Reconstituting the People of God: The Examples of Peter, Cornelius, and Others
- Title: Luke: Storyteller, Interpreter, Evangelist
- Author: Mikeal C. Parsons
- Publisher: Baylor University Press
- Pages: 256
About the Author
Mikeal C. Parsons (PhD, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) is the Kidd L. and Buna Hitchcock Macon Chair in Religion at Baylor University in Waco, Texas. He is the author of Body and Character in Luke and Acts, and coauthor of Illuminating Luke, Acts: A Handbook on the Greek Text and Rethinking the Unity of Luke and Acts.