Confessions and Catechisms of the Orthodox Church (3 vols.)
Thomas Baker, J. Masters & Co., J. Pott and Co. 1893–1899
This collection includes three catechisms and confessions of faith from the perspective of the Orthodox Christian Church in the seventeenth century. These works are invaluable for their insights into Orthodox theology and piety during the Ottoman occupation, as well as their interactions with both the Roman Catholic and Protestant theology of that era–they’re essential for students of Church history.
With the enhanced Logos edition of these texts, you can search across all three works for the Orthodox perspective on particular doctrines, specific Scripture references, and references to the Church Fathers. Integrated with your Logos library, so you can even compare the viewpoints of the Orthodox Church with those of other Protestant and Roman Catholic catechisms and confessions of faith. A must-have for every theological scholar’s library.
- Original English translations of each confession and catechism
- Prefaces and introductions to the English editions
- Letters of approval from Orthodox Bishops and professors at the time of translation
- The Orthodox Confession of the Catholic and Apostolic Eastern Church by Peter Mogila
- The Acts and Decrees of the Synod of Jerusalem by Dositheus, Patriarch of Jerusalem
- The Holy Catechism of Nicolas Bulgaris by Nicolas Bulgaris
The Acts and Decrees of the Synod of Jerusalem
- Author: Dositheus, Patriarch of Jerusalem
- Translator: J.N.W.B. Robertson
- Publisher: Thomas Baker
- Publication Date: 1899
- Pages: 249
The Holy Catechism of Nicolas Bulgaris
- Author: Nicolas Bulgaris
- Editor: R. Raikes Bromage
- Translator: W.E. Daniel
- Publisher: J. Masters and Co.
- Publication Date: 1893
- Pages: 336
- Title: Confessions and Catechisms of the Orthodox Church (3 vols.)
- Authors: Peter Mogila, Metropolitan of Kiev, Dositheus, Patriarch of Jerusalem, and Nicolas Bulgaris
- Editors: Julius Joseph Overbeck, J.N.W.B. Robertson, and R. Raikes Bromage
- Translators: Philip Lodvel, J.N.W.B. Robertson, and W.E. Daniel
- Publishers: Thomas Baker and J. Masters and Co.
- Volumes: 3
- Pages: 779
About the Translators
Julius Joseph Overbeck (1820–1905) was a Roman Catholic priest who later converted to Eastern Orthodoxy, helping pioneer the modern emergence of a Western-Rite Orthodox tradition. He was author of Catholic Orthodoxy and Anglo-Catholicism, as well as editor/publisher of The Orthodox Catholic Review, a journal on Orthodox Christianity from the Western-Rite perspective.
J.N.W.B. Robertson, a scholar of the Church of England, published an English translation of the Orthodox Divine Liturgies.
R. Raikes Bromage (1853–1922), born and educated in England, served as both a deacon and a priest in the Church of England, and eventually converted to Roman Catholicism in 1895. He also served as secretary and treasurer for the Catholic Education Board.