The Flavius Josephus Collection offers an up-to-date assessment of the life of the great historian and English translations of his key works. Brimming with insight, the five titles critically examine Josephus’ Life, analyze his portrayal of the Pharisees throughout his canon, and present a new English translation of and commentary on his Judean Antiquities. The Flavius Josephus Collection will be an invaluable addition to the libraries of all Biblicists, scholars of ancient Judaism, and anyone wishing to delve deeply into the world of the preeminent Jewish chronicler Josephus.
Few authors have had as much influence on our understanding of the New Testament world as Josephus. His key works, The Antiquities of the Jews, The War of the Jews, Against Apion and the autobiographical Life have for centuries been scoured by scholars for their extensive historical and linguistical yield. These works, written from Josephus’ vantage as a first century Jewish historian and eye-witness to the first Jewish-Roman war, render an unparalleled depiction of the historical context in which Jesus and the Apostles lived and died. The impact Josephus has made on scholarship pertaining to the era of Christ cannot be overstated.
For the critical Greek edition of the works of Josephus, see Josephus in Greek: Niese Critical Edition with Apparatus.
- Title: Flavius Josephus Collection (5 vols.)
- Authors: Steve Mason, Louis H. Feldman, Christopher T. Begg and Paul Spilsbury
- Publisher: Brill
- Volumes: 5
- Flavius Josephus: Life of Josephus, Steve Mason
- Flavius Josephus on the Pharisees: A Composition-Critical Study, Steve Mason
- Flavius Josephus: Translation and Commentary, Volume 3 Judean Antiquities Books 1-4, Louis H. Feldman
- Flavius Josephus: Translation and Commentary, Volume 4 Judean Antiquities Books 5-7, Christopher T. Begg
- Flavius Josephus: Translation and Commentary, Volume 5 Judean Antiquities Books 8-101 , Christopher T. Begg and Paul Spilsbury
Flavius Josephus on the Pharisees: A Composition-Critical Study
- Author: Steve Mason
- Publisher: Brill
- Publication Date: 2001
- Pages: 424