Several people have e-mailed me recently asking my suggestions on using D.A. Carson’s calendar devotionals, For the Love of God, Volumes 1 and 2, into a daily quiet time. So here are some thoughts. First, Carson’s books incorporate Robert M’Cheyne’s Bible reading plan, which takes us through the New Testament and Psalms twice a year and the rest of Scripture once. For each day’s reading, Carson offers some insights and encouragement. If you own these volumes, make sure to read the Preface and Introduction, in which the author explains his goals for the books.
Now here’s a way to incorporate both M’Cheyne’s plan and Carson’s books into a daily devotion time:
- Open For the Love of God, Volume 1 and/or Volume 2.
- If you open both, link them together by choosing the panel menu on each and selecting Link Set A on each as well (A).
- Choose the panel menu on one of the books and select Show table of contents.
- Select Title Page from the contents pane (B).
- Close the table of contents.
- Open your Preferred Bible (C).
- Arrange the resources as you like on the screen.
- Choose the Layouts menu.
- Name the Now snapshot something like Quiet Time.
- Return to the Layouts menu and drag your newly created Named Layout to the Shortcuts bar (D).
- Each day, click the new shortcut icon to load this Quiet Time layout.
When the layout loads, please notice on the title page of For the Love of God a link called Today’s Reading (E). Click the link to move Carson’s book(s) to today’s date.
Now click a Bible reference link in Carson’s book to move your preferred Bible to that location. Click each Bible reference link in Carson’s to complete M’Cheyne’s Bible reading plan for the day.
I truly hope this simple layout will assist you in your daily walk with the Lord. If you don’t yet own Carson’s books, I think you’ll be encouraged by them.