Today’s post is from Morris Proctor, certified and authorized trainer for Logos Bible Software. Morris, who has trained thousands of Logos users at his two-day Camp Logos seminars, provides many training materials.
I’m often asked if I still learn anything new about Logos. The answer is a resounding yes! The features and resources available in Logos make up a vast goldmine waiting to be explored. I recently noticed a topical Bible, currently available in most Logos base packages, that pulls together in one place numerous verses about a subject. Collins Thesaurus of the Bible organizes thousands of verses around nearly one thousand topics.
I encourage you to open this resource, display its table of contents, and explore its arrangement and riches. This is one of the most thorough yet user-friendly reference books I’ve ever encountered. If you enjoy doing topical and/or cross-reference work, you’ll benefit from this book. After familiarizing yourself with it, try this organizational tip for easy access:
- Open the Library.
- Click Prioritize. (1)
- Enter this text in the Library’s Find box: title:collin’s. (2)
- Drag Collins Thesaurus of the Bible from the left side of the library to the Prefer these resources list on the left. (3)
- Make sure the Thesaurus is in the top five of your prioritized topical books.
- Navigate in a Bible to a passage like Ephesians 2:20–21. (4)
- Right click on a word—temple, dwelling, etc. (5)
- Select from the right menu Selection “your word” | Collins Thesaurus of the Bible. (6)
- Notice that the resource jumps to an article about your subject even though it may not be the exact word.
Please note that if you try to right-click the plural form of a word such as apostles or prophets in Ephesians 2:20 the thesaurus may not show up on the right menu. If this occurs try this:
- Manually select the singular form of the word, leaving off the “s” (in other words manually highlight apostle rather than right clicking on apostles). (7)
- Right-click on the selected singular form of the word. (7)
- Select from the right menu: Selection “your singular form of the word” | Collins Thesaurus of the Bible. (8)
Now enjoy the extensive cross-references, along with the actual verse texts, found in this book!
Leave a comment