MediaWiki is the open source wiki software behind Wikipedia and the lesser known Theopedia, which is now powered by RefTagger. (See an example at http://www.theopedia.com/God.)
A couple of weeks ago I downloaded and installed MediaWiki so I could test it out with RefTagger. It worked very nicely.
Here’s one method for setting it up via FTP access to your site’s files:
- Use an FTP program like FileZilla to navigate to the folder where you installed MediaWiki.
- Open the "skins" folder.
- Locate the file for the skin you are using. The file for the default skin is MonoBook.php. Save a local copy, and a backup copy too.
- Open the file in Dreamweaver, WordPad, or your favorite code editor.
- Find the </body> tag and paste the customizable RefTagger code from the RefTagger page right above it.
- Save the file and upload it back to your server.
You’re done. RefTagger is now transforming your MediaWiki site.
For help with other sites, see the tutorials section on the RefTagger page.
Leave a comment