A Logos user recently emailed this question to me:
Is there a way I can search the Bible to find every synonym for “sin”?
The answer is a resounding yes and we get to use one of my favorite Logos features: the Translation ring in the Bible Word Study.
- Choose Guides | Bible Word Study.
- Type sin in the Word box. (1)
- Press the Enter key to generate the report.
The Hebrew Words and Greek Words sections display all of the Hebrew and Greek words translated sin in the Bible of your choice (as indicated on the blue section title bar). In essence these are the synonyms for sin in the Bible. Of course this exercise is not picking up Hebrew and Greek words translated trespass, offence, etc. which also could be synonyms for sin.
- Click a Hebrew or Greek word outside the ring to list the verses in which that word is translated sin. (2)
- Click the Hebrew or Greek lemma next to the word count to generate a report for that word. (3)
Notice the Translation ring in this second report displays the various ways this Hebrew or Greek lemma is translated in English, again in the Bible of your choice. (4)
By going around the Hebrew and Greek rings in the first report, we can open additional Bible Word Study reports for each word, thereby being well on our way to a biblical understanding of the original concept, in this case sin.
How do you use the translation ring in the Bible Word Study tool?