In the Preface for the Southern Presbyterian Pulpit, the editors provide two motives for putting together this collection of sermons: the "demand for a book of practical sermons, suitable for reading in the public worship of God," and the desire to "put in permanent form some examples of the work of our Southern Presbyterian pulpit, which is, we are confident, second to none in eloquence, doctrinal purity, persuasiveness, and practical power." They succeed on both counts—this volume brings together thirty-three passionate sermons from some of the Southern Presbyterian Church’s greatest preachers.
With the Logos Bible Software edition, Southern Presbyterian Pulpit is fully integrated with the other resources in Logos, including Bibles, maps, dictionaries, and numerous other Bible study tools. The Logos edition also allows you to perform powerful searches and word studies, and Scripture references are linked to the wealth of language resources in your digital library. This makes Southern Presbyterian Pulpit more powerful and easier to access than ever before for reading, sermon preparation, research, and Bible study.
- Thirty-three complete sermons
- Rich with Southern Presbyterian theology and history
- Exceptional resource for students, theologians, pastors, and historians
- "The Transforming Power of the Gospel," by Rev. B. M. Palmer, D. D.
- "The Changing World and the Unchanging God," by Rev. Moses D. Hoge, D. D.
- "'One Jesus," by Rev. J. Henry Smith," D. D.
- "The Gospel Call," by Rev. Geo. D. Armstrong, D. D.
- "'What is the Chaff to the Wheat?'" by Rev. J. W. Lupton, D. D.
- "Christ's Pastoral Presence with His Dying People," by Rev. John L. Girardeau, D. D.
- "The Pitilessness of Sin," by Rev. J. R. Stratton, D. D.
- "The Happy Service," by Rev. Robert Lewis Dabney, D. D.
- "Seeking the Lord," by Rev. J. W. Rosebro, D. D.
- "Our Redeemer's Prayer for Christian Unity," by Rev. Neander M. Woods, D. D.
- "The Divineness of the Family Bond," by Rev. W. U. Murkland, D. D.
- "Why Believers Should Not Fear," by Rev. A. W. Pitzer, D. D.
- "The Ruler's Question," by Rev. J. H. Bryson, D. D.
- "Children of the Covenant," by Rev. S. W. Davies, D. D.
- "Man Inspired of God," by Rev. G. R. Brackett, D. D.
- "'How Long Halt Ye Between Two Opinions,'" by Rev. J. R. Burgett, D. D.
- "Consecration," by Rev. G. B. Strickler, D. D.
- "Personal Work for the Master," by Rev. W. N. Scott, D. D.
- "Joseph of Arimathea," by Rev. John A. Preston, D. D.
- "The Striving Spirit," by Rev. Robert P. Kerr, D. D.
- "Applied Christianity," by Rev. R. K. Smoot, D. D.
- "The Three Causes of Salvation," by Rev. W. W. Moore, D. D.
- "The Necessity of Christ's Resurrection," by J. F. Cannon, D. D.
- "Natural Law and Divine Providence," by Rev. Peyton H. Hoge, D. D.
- "Take Hold of God," by Rev. James I. Vance, D. D.
- "'To Me to Live is Christ,'" by Rev. J. R. Howerton, D. D.
- "The Valley of Achor," by Rev. G. L. Petrie, D. D.
- "Religion Not a Vain Thing," by Rev. Samuel A. Kino, D. D.
- "Jesus' Supreme Authority," by Rev. C. R. Hemphill, D. D.
- "Trust in the Lord," by Rev. Joseph R. Wilson D. D.
- "Not One Forgotten," by Rev. T. D. Witherspoon, D. D.
- "The Sabbath Day," by Rev. W. F. V. Bartlett, D. D.
- "The Gospel as First Revealed," by Rev. W. T. Hall, D. D.
Praise for the Print Edition
I've often given printed sermons to the dying, grieving, confused, and lost; sermons from this very book. You'll find sermons that speak to the heart in Southern Presbyterian Pulpit. Acquaint yourself with the 'Spurgeons of America' and you'll find some preachers to imitate; 'Preachers with Power.'
—C. N. Willborn, Associate Professor of Church History and Biblical Theology, Greenville Theological Seminary
A careful examination of the several discourses reveals their strength, beauty, fervor, and wonderfully evangelical spirit and soundness.
—The Presbyterian Quarterly
- Title: Southern Presbyterian Pulpit: A Collection of Sermons
- Author: Ministers of the Southern Presbyterian Church
- Publisher: Presbyterian Committee of Publication
- Publication Date: 1896
- Pages: 407