The Farewell Discourse and Final Prayer of Jesus: An Exposition of John 14–17
In The Farewell Discourse and Final Prayer of Jesus, D. A. Carson offers a penetrating exposition of John 14–17—the finale of Jesus’ teaching. These short studies touch on many of the great themes of the Christian faith, held together by the experience of the cross that loomed over Christ and his disciples at Gethsemane.
With Logos Bible Software, Scripture passages appear on mouse-over, and all cross-references link to the other resources in your digital library, making this volume powerful and easy to access—a cornerstone reference for scholarly work or personal Bible study. Perform comprehensive searches by topic or Scripture reference—finding, for instance, every mention of “leadership” or “John 14”
- Offers an exposition of John 14–17
- Explores various themes of the Christian faith
- Prologue (John 13)
- An Introduction to Triumphant Faith (John 14:1–14)
- The Coming of the Spirit of Truth (John 14:15–24)
- Three Clarifications (John 14:25–31)
- Spiritual Intimacy with Jesus Christ (John 15:1–16)
- Counting the Cost (15:17–16:4)
- Two Special Ministries of the Spirit (John 16:5–15)
- But First, the Cross (John 16:16–33)
- Jesus Prays for Himself and for His Followers (John 17:1–19)
- Jesus Prays for All Believers and for the World (John 17:20–26)
Praise for the Print Edition
Here is scholarship at its best, a clear, well-reasoned, understandable account.
. . . highly recommended for its homiletical and expositional values. The preacher who likes to prepare expository sermons will find invaluable guidelines in exegesis, illustrations, and inspirational poetry.
- Title: The Farewell Discourse and Final Prayer of Jesus: An Exposition of John 14–17
- Author: D. A. Carson
- Publisher: Baker
- Publication Date: 1980
- Pages: 207
About D. A. Carson
D. A. Carson is a respected professor, author, and speaker. He is currently a research professor at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, where he has been teaching since 1978. Carson earned an MDiv from Central Baptist Seminary and a PhD in New Testament from Cambridge University. He lectures in academic and church settings around the world.
Carson has written over 50 books, including his popular The Gagging of God: Christianity Confronts Pluralism and Exegetical Fallacies. He has also written commentaries in both The Expositor’s Bible Commentary series and the Pillar New Testament Commentary series.