Many people seek to better their lives by leaving, changing, swapping, or modifying their commitments. But God’s Word holds up a beautiful value that, while difficult, leads to deep satisfaction and great reward: endurance.
This thoughtful book both elevates the virtue of godly endurance and bears witness to its power in the Christian life. This volume’s contributors include John MacArthur, Jerry Bridges, Randy Alcorn, and Helen Roseveare. Each individual represents a different kind of endurance—from MacArthur’s longtime, faithful shepherding of a church to Alcorn’s radical obedience in the culture wars, and from Bridges’ unswerving patience through suffering to Roseveare’s courageous constancy on the war-torn mission field. This inspiring volume awakens and solidifies Christ-exalting endurance in people who are weary in their faith journey or who simply long to remain firm to the end.
In the Logos edition, this valuable volume is enhanced by amazing functionality. Scripture citations link directly to English translations, and important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Perform powerful searches to find exactly what you’re looking for. Take the discussion with you using tablet and mobile apps. With Logos Bible Software, the most efficient and comprehensive research tools are in one place, so you get the most out of your study.
- Encourages readers to hold Christ more dearly each day, as they grow in their faith regardless of adversity
- Includes the personal stories of influential modern Christian authors
- Defines and examines perseverance in the Christian life
- Four Essentials for Finishing Well
- Getting Old to the Glory of God
- Certainties That Drive Enduring Ministry
- Cumulative Daily Decisions, Courage in a Cause, and a Life of Endurance
- One Thing
- An Interview with Randy Alcorn, Jerry Bridges, John Piper, and Helen Roseveare
- An Interview with John Piper and John MacArthur
- Scripture Index
- Subject Index
- A Note on Desiring God
- Title: Stand: A Call for the Endurance of the Saints
- Editors: John Piper and Justin Taylor
- Publisher: Crossway
- Publication Date: 2008
- Pages: 160
About the Editors
John Piper (DTheol, University of Munich) is teacher and founder of DesiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College and Seminary. He served for 33 years as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis and is author of more than 50 books, including Desiring God, Don’t Waste Your Life, God Is the Gospel, Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ, and many more.
Justin Taylor (PhD candidate, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) is vice president of book publishing and an associate publisher at Crossway. He has edited and contributed to several books, including A God Entranced Vision of All Things and Reclaiming the Center, and is a blogger at Between Two Worlds—hosted by The Gospel Coalition.