Handbook to Exegesis of the New Testament is a substantial theoretical and practical guide to the multifaceted discipline of New Testament exegesis. This volume covers current topics in New Testament exegesis in sufficient depth to provide a useful methodological basis. The introduction includes an analysis of the various definitions of exegesis, a term notoriously difficult to define, and a bibliographic essay covering the basic tools of exegesis. A section on method includes detailed discussions of the different models used in the major approaches to exegesis: textual criticism; linguistic analysis; genre criticism; source, form, and redaction criticism; discourse analysis; rhetorical and narratological criticism; literary criticism; and canonical criticism.
Also included are models based on analysis of the backgrounds of the New Testament in Hellenistic philosophy, ancient Judaism, the Roman Empire, and the works of second-century authors. In a section on application, exegetical methods are applied to the various literary units of the New Testament. This handbook serves well as both a textbook and a reference book for the major tools and topics in the area of New Testament exegesis.
- In-depth discussion current topics in New Testament exegesis
- Models on the analysis of backgrounds of the New Testament
- Great textbook and reference book
- What is Exegesis? by Stanley E. Porter and Kent D. Clarke
- The Basic Tools of Exegesis of the New Testament: A Bibliographical Essay by Stanley E. Porter
Part One: Method
- Textual Criticism in the Exegesis of the New Testament, with an Excursus on Canon by Eldon Jay Epp
- The Greek Language of the New Testament by Stanley E. Porter
- The Genres of the New Testament by Brook W. R. Pearson and Stanley E. Porter
- Source, Form and Redaction Criticism of the New Testament by David R. Catchpole
- Discourse Analysis by Jeffrey T. Reed
- Rhetorical and Narratological Criticism by Dennis L. Stamps
- New Testament Literary Criticism by Brook W. R. Pearson
- Ideological Criticisms, Liberation Criticisms, and Womanist and Feminist Criticisms by Tina Pippin
- Social-Scientific Criticism by Stephen C. Barton
- Canonical Criticism by Robert W. Wall
- Hellenistic Philosophy and the New Testament by Gregory E. Sterling
- Jewish Backgrounds by Paul R. Trebilco
- The Roman Empire as a Context for the New Testament by David W. J. Gill
- Exegesis in the Second Century by Thomas H. Olbricht
Part Two: Application
- The Life of Jesus by Craig A Evans
- The Synoptic Gospels and Acts by Christopher M Tuckett
- Exegesis of the Pauline Letters, including the Deutero-Pauline Letters by Stanley E. Porter
- The Johannine Literature by John Painter
- New Testament Exegesis of Hebrews and the Catholic Epistles by George H Guthrie
- Title: Handbook to Exegesis of the New Testament
- Editor: Stanley E. Porter
- Publisher: Logos Research Systems, Inc.
About Stanley E. Porter
Stanley E. Porter is president, dean and professor of New Testament at McMaster Divinity College in Hamilton, Ontario. He is the author of numerous studies in the New Testament and Greek language.