Ebenezer Erskine was a Scottish minister, talented orator, and key figure in establishing the Secession Church in Scotland. He was minister of Portmoak, where he served for 28 years until he moved to the West Church in Stirling, where he served for 23 years. He was known as a man of incorruptible integrity who acted with honesty and courage. This devotion to his principles led him to head a group of ministers who would not be a part of a Church of Scotland that compromised the rights of the congregation. Erskine’s Puritan preaching frequently drew a crowd his church could not contain, drawing him to regularly preach outside. Included is the whole of the steadfast Puritan’s published sermons and poetry, still profitable for study today for any student of Puritan and Reformed thought.
The Logos Bible Software editions preserve 52 of Erskine’s sermons in their entirety, fully indexed for instant search results. Scripture references appear in your preferred translation on mouseover, and all your dictionaries and references tools are a click away, making this collection perfect for research and personal study.
Ebenezer Erskine (1680–1754) was a Scottish minister whose actions led to the establishment of the Secession Church in Scotland. His father was a victim of the Great Ejection under the Act of Uniformity in 1662, and was imprisoned for several years during Ebenezer’s childhood. Ebenezer studied at the University of Edinburgh and then became minister of Portmoak, where he served for 28 years until he moved to the West Church in Stirling, where he served for 23 years. Following in his fathers footsteps, he was rebuked at the General Assembly in 1722 for defending the doctrines found in The Marrow of Modern Divinity. In 1733 he was suspended because of his democratic stance on lay patronage. In protest, Erskine and the other suspended ministers formed their own church court, no longer acknowledging the authority of the General Assembly. This eventually lead to Ebenezer being deposed, though he continued to preach to a large and influential congregation in Stirling until his death in 1754.