The theme of the June 2006 issue of Tabletalk is the problem of evil. In the Christian worldview, evil will finally be conquered; it, like the sea in Revelation 21, will be no more. However, understanding why it is still here, and how God has dealt with it in the cross of Christ and how He will deal with it upon His return, will not only help us to stop the mouths of those who attack the goodness of God, it will help us see how we then shall live as we cling to the hope of evil done away. This issue of Tabletalk, while by no means intended to provide a complete philosophy and history of theodicies, will aim to present a succinct, Reformed understanding of the problem of evil.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with E. Calvin Beisner, Paul Helm, Robert Rayburn, R.C. Sproul Jr., Joni Eareckson Tada, and Gene Edward Veith. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
The 2006 Bible studies take a careful look at the book of Genesis.
- "What's the Problem?" by Burk Parsons
- "The Problem of Pain" by R. C. Sproul
- "The Potter's Freedom" by E. Calvin Beisner
- "Why? The Nagging Question" by Paul Helm
- "Turning Evil on Its Head" by Joni Eareckson Tada
- "Father Abraham Had Many Sons" by Chris Donato
- "The People, Place, and Presence of God
- "The God of Abraham" by Warren A. Gage
- "The Creator God" by Nevin Mawhinney
- "A Refuge for the Weary Soul" by Robert Rayburn
- "What's Our Problem?" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "Bringing Christ Into the Problem" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, June 2006: The Problem of Evil
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: June 2006
- Pages: 63
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.