Exhaustion. Lost Ambition. Difficulty sleeping and concentrating. Anxious worrying. Irritability. These are all marks of what is commonly called depression. And depression is no less a spiritual matter than physical. There is hope and there is help — resting on the promises of God in Christ Jesus. For this reason, the March 2008 issue of Tabletalk focuses on spiritual depression — its, nature, causes, and cure. Our hope is to provide a brief overview of spiritual depression while also providing helpful suggestions for starting the journey out of it. Getting to the heart of what spiritual depression is, Tabletalk intends to guide its readers through a process of dealing with spiritual depression biblically and effectively.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with Jay Adams, Mark Dever, Elyse Fitzpatrick, Richard L. Ganz, Keith A. Mathison, R.C. Sproul Jr.Derek Thomas, Gene Edward Veith, and Edward T. Welch. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
The 2008 Bible studies examines the gospel of Matthew and the Redeemer who saves His people from their sins.
- "The Dark Night of the Soul" by R. C. Sproul
- "The Heart of Depression" by Edward T. Welch
- "The Gospel of Cure" by Elyse Fitzpatrick
- "A Light in Dark Places" by Derek Thomas
- "This Pornographic Life" by Chris Donato
- "Be Ye Perfect" by Joel R. Beeke
- "Put Off and Put On" by Jerry Bridges
- "The Most Frightening Words" by Tom Ascol
- "Where is your Treasure" by John Petersen
- "Pastor's Perspective" by Richard L. Ganz
- "Pro Ecclesia: For the Church" by Mark Dever
- "Generation to Generation" by Jay Adams
- "Tolle Lege: Take Up and Read" by Keith A. Mathison
- "Seek Ye First" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "Truth and Consequences" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, March 2008: Darkness before the Dawn
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: March 2008
- Pages: 83
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.