In this important volume, Tamara Prosic gives a new explanation of the origins, development and symbolism of Passover.
First, she examines Passover from the diachronic perspective, tracing its development from the period before the centralization of the cult until the second destruction of the temple. Issues with previous scholarship are considered, while at the same time she places the study of Passover within the framework of the new paradigm of historical studies of ancient Israel that advocates the indigenous Canaanitic origin of Israelites.
The second part of the book is synchronic in its approach to Passover and deals with its symbolism. Prosic discusses Passover in biblical legends arguing that the pre-Yahwistic Passover was essentially a rite of passage. From there the investigation moves to symbolic elements of Passover such as time symbolism, space symbolism and symbolism of the sacrifice.
- Examination of Jewish history and historiography
- Outline of the development of Passover symbolism
- All Scripture references are linked to Hebrew texts and English Bible translations in your library
- Title: Development and Symbolism of Passover
- Author: Tamara Prosic
- Publisher: Sheffield Academic Press
- Publication Date: 2005
- Pages: 160
About Tamara Prosic
Tamara Prosic is a lecturer at the School of Historical Studies at Monash University, Australia.