Alexander Souter was a professor of theology for over 40 years, teaching Latin, Greek, early church history, New Testament exegesis, and more. The Alexander Souter Studies in Early Christianity collection contains four of his works that will improve your Bible and original-language study. In The Text and Canon of the New Testament, Souter presents a succinct history of the New Testament books and how they were brought together. With A Pocket Lexicon to the Greek New Testament, he gives the forms of Greek words in the New Testament and their meanings as exactly as possible. And with Hints on Translation from Latin into English and Hints on the Study of Latin (AD 125–750), Souter provides valuable hints and pointers for translating Latin works—practical tips derived from his numerous years of teaching Latin to seminary students.
The Alexander Souter Studies in Early Christianity collection also contains Souter’s English translations of four important Tertullian works: Against Praxeas, and the treatises concerning the resurrection of the flesh, prayer, and baptism. Souter provides an introduction to Tertullian and his works, an introduction to each specific piece, and valuable notes throughout these fresh translations.
With the Logos Bible Software edition of the Alexander Souter Studies in Early Christianity collection, you’ll get instant access to Souter’s discoveries and insights. Key concepts and ideas integrate with your digital encyclopedias, dictionaries, commentaries, and favorite translation of the Bible, making this collection powerful and easy to access. Compare Souter’s translations of Tertullian side-by-side with those contained in the Early Church Fathers collection in your library, or any of the other numerous Logos resources that reference Tertullian.
- Contains Souter’s lexicon of the Greek New Testament
- Provides two works to improve your Latin reading and translating
- Offers beautiful translations of four important Tertullian treatises
- A Pocket Lexicon to the Greek New Testament
- The Text and Canon of the New Testament
- Hints on Translation from Latin into English
- Hints on the Study of Latin (AD 125–750)
- Tertullian against Praxeas
- Tertullian Concerning the Resurrection of the Flesh
- Tertullian’s Treatises Concerning Prayer, Concerning Baptism
- Title: Alexander Souter Studies in Early Christianity Collection
- Author: Alexander Souter
- Volumes: 7
- Pages: 1,267
About Alexander Souter
Alexander Souter (1873–1949) was born in Perth, Scotland. He was educated at the University of Aberdeen and the University of Cambridge. From 1903 to 1910, he served as Yates Professor of New Testament Greek and Exegesis at Mansfield College, Oxford. From 1911 to 1937 he served as Regius Professor of Humanities at the University of Aberdeen.