“Cheap grace is the mortal enemy of our church. Our struggle today is for costly grace.” And with that sharp warning to his own church, which was engaged in bitter conflict with the official nazified state church, Dietrich Bonhoeffer began his book Discipleship (formerly titled The Cost of Discipleship). Originally published in 1937, it soon became a classic exposition of what it means to follow Christ in a modern world beset by a dangerous and criminal government. At its center stands an interpretation of the Sermon on the Mount: what Jesus demanded of his followers—and how the life of discipleship is to be continued in all ages of the post-resurrection church.
“Every call of Jesus is a call to death,” Bonhoeffer wrote. His own life ended in martyrdom on April 9, 1945. Freshly translated from the German critical edition, Discipleship provides a more accurate rendering of the text and extensive aids and commentary to clarify the meaning, context, and reception of this work and its attempt to resist the Nazi ideology then infecting German Christian churches.
In the Logos edition, this valuable volume is enhanced by amazing functionality. Scripture citations link directly to English translations, and important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Perform powerful searches to find exactly what you’re looking for. Take the discussion with you using tablet and mobile apps. With Logos Bible Software, the most efficient and comprehensive research tools are in one place, so you get the most out of your study.
- Examines what Christ desired of Christians rather than what church leaders wanted for Christians, in the time of World War II
- Presents the most influential work of Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s career
- Challenges readers to be “Christlike” Christians
- Part One
- Costly Grace
- The Call to Discipleship
- Simple Obedience
- Discipleship and the Cross
- Discipleship and the Individual
- The Sermon on the Mount (An Interpretation)
- The Messengers (An Interpretation of Matthew 10)
- Part Two: The Church of Jesus Christ and Discipleship
- Preliminary Questions
- The Body of Christ
- The Visible Church-Community
- The Saints
- The Image of Christ
- Title: Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works, vol. 4: Discipleship
- Author: Dietrich Bonhoeffer
- Translators: Barbara Green and Reinhard Krauss
- Publisher: Augsburg Fortress
- Publication Date: 2003
- Pages: 354
About Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906–1945) a German theologian, pastor, and ecumenist, was a professor in Berlin, an uncompromising teacher in the Confessing Church, and a consistent opponent of National Socialism. Executed by Hitler at the end of World War II, his influence continues today as one of the most important theologians of the twentieth century.