Although Chafer composed this volume to be purely evangelical in essence, not doctrinal or exegetical in nature, believers will find this exploration of salvation to be encouraging and clarifying. Chafer presents a solid and all-encompassing study on this doctrine, starting with a biblical definition of the word, “salvation.” He names the different aspects and implications of salvation, relying completely on Scripture. This volume will help to clear any confusion about salvation and will give invaluable context and explanation for both laity and scholars.
Table of Contents
- The Word Salvation
- The Divine Estimate of the Lost
- The Three-Fold Message of the Cross
- The Present Values of the Cross to the Unsaved
- The One Condition of Salvation
- The Riches of Grace in Christ Jesus
- Two Cardinal Facts
- Rewards, or the Place of Christian Works
- The Eternal Security of the Believer, Part 1
- The Eternal Security of the Believer, Part 2
- An Appeal
- Careful examination of doctrine by one of the most influential twentieth-century theologians
- Includes detailed table of contents
- Written by one of the key founders of modern dispensationalism
Praise for the Print Edition
No subject was more dear to the heart of Dr. Lewis Sperry Chafer than the teaching of the Scriptures on the spiritual life.
—John F. Walvoord, president of Dallas Theological Seminary
I welcome therefore this present book on these fundamental truths. Having had the privilege of seeing it in manuscript, I bespeak for it the candid attention of all who are concerned for the truth of God.
—C.I. Scofield, in the preface to the 1936 edition of The Kingdom in History and Prophecy
I am glad of the privilege of calling attention to a presentation of the way of salvation which is certain to lead all who read it earnestly to a living faith in Christ, and then to a constant joy because of the abundant and assured provision of God for the Christian life.
—W. H. Griffith Thomas, in the preface to the 1917 edition of Salvation
- Title: Salvation
- Author: Lewis Sperry Chafer
- Publisher: The Sunday School Times Company
- Publication Date: 1917
- Pages: 168
About Lewis Sperry Chafer
Lewis Sperry Chafer (1871-1952) was an American Presbyterian clergyman and educator, born in Rock Creek, Ohio. He studied at New Lyme Academy in Ohio, at Oberlin (Ohio) Conservatory and College, and under C. I. Scofield. Ordained in 1900, he was a traveling evangelist from 1900-1914, and a Bible lecturer from 1914-1924. He also taught Bible at the Philadelphia School of the Bible from 1914-1923. In 1924, he founded the Evangelical Theological College (now Dallas Theological Seminary) and was its president and professor of systematic theology until his death. He is also the author of Systematic Theology (8 Vols.) and was also the editor of Bibliotheca Sacra.