The Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary sets the standard for what a Bible dictionary should be—a vast storehouse of easy-to-find, easy-to-grasp, useful information. Completely revised and expanded, with more user-friendly features than ever, this edition of the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary is designed both for those who need information quickly and those who want in-depth treatments on hundreds of topics. Additionally, hundreds of color photographs, maps, reconstructions and charts illuminate the text in a way you never thought possible. Once you begin reading, you’ll understand why the Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary has become the gold standard in Bible reference publishing!
- Exhaustive definitions of people, places, things, and events—dealing with every subject in the Bible
- Over 700 full-color photos, illustrations, and charts
- Unique scale drawings and reconstructions of biblical places and objects based on careful archaeological research
- Over sixty new, full-color maps with map index
- Major articles on theological topics, and collective articles on plants, animals, occupations, and more!
- Pronunciation guide for all proper nouns and other hard-to-pronounce words
- Up-to-date archaeological information from excavations in Israel
- Timeline that compares biblical history to world history
- Summary definitions that begin each entry for quick reference
- A variety of translations used—this is the only dictionary that includes the HCSB, NIV, KJV, RSV, NRSV, REB, NASB, ESV, and TEV!
- Many articles based on the original languages, but written in a user-friendly style. Technical language and abbreviations are avoided.
- Alphabetical guides for quick and easy location of information.
- Title: Holman Illustrated Bible Dictionary
- Editors: Chad Brand, Charles W. Draper, and Archie W. England
- Publisher: Broadman & Holman
- Publication Date: 2003
- Pages: 1,717
About the Editors
Chad Brand received his B. A. from Rockmont College, and an M. Div. and Ph. D. from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He has done graduate studies at the University of Texas in Arlington and the Texas Christian University. He is Associate Professor of Christian Theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. He is co-author of One Sacred Effort in the Broadman & Holman Baptist History Collection (11 Vols.).
Charles Draper is a member of the founding faculty of Boyce College, where he is Associate Professor of Biblical Studies. He has served over twenty-five years in the pastorate and is the author of some fifty published works. He holds a B.A. from Baylor University, an M. Div. from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, a D. Min. from Luther Rice Seminary, and a Ph. D. from New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary.
Archie England is the director of Baptist College Partnership and Associate Professor of Old Testament and Hebrew at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. He received a Bachelors of Business Administration from the University of Mississippi, an M.Div. from Golden Gate Baptist Theological Seminary, and a Ph.D. from Mid-America Baptist Theological Seminary.