Words carry immeasurable significance—the universe was created with a word; Jesus healed and cast out demons with a word; rulers have risen and fallen by their words; Christians have worshiped through words of song, confession, and preaching. Even in this technological age, politics, education, business, and relationships center on words.
Since the tongue is such a powerful force, one may ask: what would homes, churches, schools, and even the public square be like if words were used with Christian intentionality and eloquence? The Power of Words and the Wonder of God seeks to answer this difficult question. In these chapters, derived from Desiring God’s 2008 national conference, John Piper, Sinclair B. Ferguson, and Mark Driscoll team with worship pastor Bob Kauflin, counselor Paul Tripp, and literature professor Daniel Taylor to help readers harness their tongues and appropriately command their silences for the glory of God and the ministry of the Gospel.
In the Logos edition, this valuable volume is enhanced by amazing functionality. Scripture citations link directly to English translations, and important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Perform powerful searches to find exactly what you’re looking for. Take the discussion with you using tablet and mobile apps. With Logos Bible Software, the most efficient and comprehensive research tools are in one place, so you get the most out of your study.
- Examines the use of language and how Christian language differs from that of others
- Includes pieces from many influential writers of modern Christianity
- Discusses the importance of words and what that means for Christians
- War of Words: Getting to the Heart for God’s Sake
- The Bit, the Bridle, and the Blessing: An Exposition of James 3:1–12
- Is there Christian Eloquence? Clear Words and the Wonder of the Cross
- How Sharp the Edge? Christ, Controversy, and Cutting Words
- Story-Shaped Faith
- Words of Wonder: What Happens When We Sing?
- Title: The Power of Words and the Wonder of God
- Editors: John Piper and Justin Taylor
- Publisher: Crossway
- Publication Date: 2009
- Pages: 176
About the Editors
John Piper (DTheol, University of Munich) is teacher and founder of DesiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College and Seminary. He served for 33 years as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church in Minneapolis and is author of more than 50 books, including Desiring God, Don’t Waste Your Life, God Is the Gospel, Seeing and Savoring Jesus Christ, and many more.
Justin Taylor (PhD candidate, The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary) is vice president of book publishing and an associate publisher at Crossway. He has edited and contributed to several books, including A God Entranced Vision of All Things and Reclaiming the Center, and is a blogger at Between Two Worlds—hosted by The Gospel Coalition.