Oxford History of the Christian Church (16 vols.)•
Oxford University Press, Clarendon Press 1981–2010
The Oxford History of the Christian Church provides a full survey of Christian churches and their part in humanity’s religious heritage. These accessible and engaging accounts of church history span both the globe and history from apostolic times to the present day. Eminent scholars provide fresh narratives on topics such as the Reformation and the East-West schism, as well as groundbreaking single-volume studies of Christianity in Africa and India. The authors pay particular attention to the place of the church in surrounding society, the institutions of church life, manifestations of popular religion, the link between forms of national culture, and the intellectual tradition within Europe and beyond.
Logos Bible Software connects these 16 volumes with one another, as well as the rest of your resources. Fully indexed books enable near-instant search results and connect concepts throughout your library.
- Accessible yet authoritative volumes assembled by church history experts
- Historical accounts with both global and local perspectives
- Trusted scholarship on topics familiar and foreign, from the Reformation to Indian Christianity
- A History of the Churches of Australasia by Ian Breward
- A History of the Popes 1830–1914 by Owen Chadwick
- Christianity in India: From Beginnings to the Present by Erik Frykenberg
- Church and Society in Eighteenth-Century France, vol. 1: The Clerical Establishment and its Social Ramifications by John McManners
- Church and Society in Eighteenth-Century France, vol. 2: The Religion of the People and the Politics of Religion by John McManners
- East and West: The Making of a Rift in the Church: From Apostolic Times until the Council of Florence by Henry Chadwick
- England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales The Christian Church 1900-2000 by Keith Robbins
- German and Scandinavian Protestantism 1700–1918 by Nicholas Hope
- Reformation in Britain and Ireland by Felicity Heal
- Religion in England 1688–1791 by Gordon Rupp
- The Church in Africa 1450–1950 by Adrian Hastings
- The Church in Ancient Society: From Galilee to Gregory the Great by Henry Chadwick
- The Early Reformation on the Continent by Owen Chadwick
- The Frankish Church by J. M. Wallace-Hadrill
- The Papal Monarchy: The Western Church from 1050–1250 by Colin Morris
- The Popes and European Revolution by Owen Chadwick
J. M. Wallace-Hadrill was Chichele Professor of Modern History at University of Oxford and a fellow at All Souls College.
Owen Chadwick is emeritus regius professor of modern history at the University of Cambridge.
- Title: Oxford History of the Christian Church
- Editors: Henry and Owen Chadwick
- Publisher: Oxford University Press
- Volumes: 16
- Pages: 9,854
About the Editors
Henry Chadwick was a leading historian of the early church and was appointed regius professor at both the universities of Oxford and Cambridge.
Owen Chadwick is a prominent historian of Christianity and was regius professor of modern history at Cambridge.