The Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church, a unique, unprecedented document in the history of the Church, serves as a tool to inspire and guide the faithful, who are faced with moral and pastoral challenges daily. It is divided into five sections: an introduction, three parts, and a conclusion entitled “For a Civilization of Love.” The Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church is a must-have resource for leaders of social ministry at the diocesan and parish level as well as those in religious education, schools, and youth and young adult ministry.
This text is a critical resource for any study on Catholic social teaching. Study it along with the other primary sources of Catholic social teaching—Pope Leo XIII’s Rerum Novarum, Vatican II’s Gaudium et Spes, or Pope John Paul II’s Evangelium Vitae, for example—and carry your entire library with you in your laptop, tablet, or phone. Logos brings you unparalleled access to the studies of the Catholic Church.
- Essential authoritative documentation and analysis of the Church’s social teachings
- Extensive references and notes that link to the sources of Catholic social teaching
- Introduction: An Integral and Solidary Humanism
- Part One
- Chapter One: God’s Plan of Love for Humanity
- Chapter Two: The Church’s Mission and Social Doctrine
- Chapter Three: The Human Person and Human Rights
- Chapter Four: Principles of the Church’s Social Doctrine
- Part Two
- Chapter Five: The Family, the Vital Cell of Society
- Chapter Six: Human Work
- Chapter Seven: Economic Life
- Chapter Eight: The Political Community
- Chapter Nine: The International Community
- Chapter Ten: Safeguarding the Environment
- Chapter Eleven: The Promotion of Peace
- Part Three
- Chapter Twelve: Social Doctrine and Ecclesial Action
- Conclusion: For a Civilization of Love
Praise for the Print Edition
The Compendium is not only a comprehensive new edition gathering Catholic doctrine relating to social work. With recurring references to moral issues raised by advances in medicine, globalization, and other contemporary matters, it carries these principles into today’s world and its central social developments.
—Midwest Book Review
Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church is an invaluable resource for teachers of Catholic Social Teaching, and for those who direct programs of Christian Service.
—Anthony J. Pogorelc, research fellow and professor, Institute for Policy Research and Catholic Studies, The Catholic University of America
The Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church is a valuable instrument for the formation of everyone and particularly of the laity.
—Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI
- Title: The Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church
- Publisher: Libreria Editrice Vaticana
- Publication Date: 2004
- Pages: 480