JPS Tanakh Commentary Collection (JPSTC) (11 vols.)
by 11 authors Eskenazi, Tamara C., Frymer-Kensky, Tikva, Fox, Michael V., Berlin, Adele, Fishbane, Michael, Simon, Uriel, Tabory, Joseph, Tigay, Jeffrey H., Sarna, Nahum M., Levine, Baruch A., Milgrom, Jacob
Jewish Publication Society 1989–2011
In 1888, the Jewish Publication Society of America was founded in Philadelphia to provide Jewish immigrants’ children with English-language books about their heritage. The oldest publisher of English-language Jewish titles, JPS seeks to enhance Jewish culture by promoting the dissemination of religious and secular works of exceptional quality to all individuals and institutions, in the United States and abroad, interested in past and contemporary Jewish life.
Written by distinguished Hebrew Bible scholars, these JPS commentaries represent a fusion of classical and modern sources. Building on the latest research to enhance your understanding of the biblical text, each volume takes its place as one of today’s most authoritative yet accessible commentaries. The commentaries provide supplementary essays that elaborate on key words and themes, a commentators and sources glossary, and extensive bibliographic notes, charts, and maps. This collection includes the complete Torah commentaries, plus commentaries on Jonah, Ruth, Ecclesiastes, Esther, and Haftarot. It also includes a commentary on the Passover Haggadah.
The JPS Tanakh Commentary Collection offers pastors, students, and laypeople commitment to accessibility without sacrificing serious scholarship. In the Logos edition, each Scripture passage links to your favorite translation, and the series is easy to study side by side with your other commentaries. You can search by topic or Scripture with remarkably fast results.
As with any other commentary that includes running Bible text from an existing translation, these resources contain only the commentary portion of the print editions. This collection does not include the JPS Tanakh or full Hebrew text. The JPS Tanakh is available for purchase separately.
- Guides readers through the Hebrew Bible’s words and ideas
- Provides supplementary essays on key words and themes
- Includes extensive charts, maps, and bibliographic notes
- The JPS Torah Commentary: Genesis by Nahum M. Sarna
- The JPS Torah Commentary: Exodus by Nahum M. Sarna
- The JPS Torah Commentary: Leviticus by Baruch A. Levine
- The JPS Torah Commentary: Numbers by Jacob Milgrom
- The JPS Torah Commentary: Deuteronomy by Jeffrey H. Tigay
- The JPS Bible Commentary: Jonah by Uriel Simon
- The JPS Bible Commentary: Ruth by Tamarah Cohn Eskenazi and Tikvah Frymer-Kensky
- The JPS Bible Commentary: Ecclesiastes by Michael V. Fox
- The JPS Bible Commentary: Esther by Adele Berlin
- The JPS Bible Commentary: Haftarot by Michael Fishbane
- The JPS Torah Commentary on the Haggadah: Historical Introduction, Translation, and Commentary by Joseph Tabory
- Title: JPS Tanakh Commentary Collection (JPSTC)
- Publisher: Jewish Publication Society
- Volumes: 11
- Pages: 3,380