Samuel Collection (4 vols.)
by 6 authors Cook, Joan E., Orton, David, Gunn, David M., Clines, David J. A., Eskenazi, Tamara C., Keys, Gillian
Sheffield Academic Press, Almond Press, JSOT Press 1991–1999
The books of Samuel in the Old Testament not only record events of Israel’s history, but also offer insight into the literary and history traditions of the time. This collection focuses on the key characters and stories of 1 and 2 Samuel, including David, Michal, Samuel, as well as the theological and structural significance of the passages. The volumes document the many different interpretations of these Old Testament texts, including succession narrative and critical historicism. They address issues such as the difference between historical recording and storytelling, the place of women in the narratives, literary structure, cultural ramifications, character roles, and parallel passages in the New Testament. This is an important collection on Hebrew literature and theology, providing an academic, yet clear understanding into this recording of Israel’s story.
Samuel Collection (4 Vols.) will be of interest to professors, students, and anyone wanting to learn more about the stories and key characters of Israel. Each volume has indexes, bibliographies, notes, cross-references, lists of abbreviations, and author lists.
- In-depth discussion of the theological and structural significance of the books of Samuel
- Includes a variety of topics and international scholars
- Each volume contains indexes and bibliographies to guide research
- Narrative and Novella in Samuel: Studies by Hugo Gressmann and Other Scholars, 1906-1923, edited by David M. Gunn
- Telling Queen Michal's Story: An Experiment in Comparative Interpretation, edited by Philip R. Davies & David J.A. Clines
- The Wages of Sin: A Reappraisal of the 'Succession Narrative', by Gillian Keys
- Hannah's Desire, God's Design: Early Interpretations of the Story of Hannah, by Joan E. Cook
- Title: Samuel Collection (4 Vols.)
- Publisher: Sheffield Academic
- Volumes: 4
- Pages: 835