The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching is the most complete practical encyclopedia ever written on the practice of preaching. It is edited by Haddon Robinson and Craig Brian Larson, and uses significant resources from the ministries of Christianity Today International.
The 11 major sections in this extensive resource contain almost 200 articles, which cover every possible preaching topic, including changing lives, sermon structure, “the big idea,” introductions, outlining, transitions, conclusions, passionate delivery, application, leveraging illustrations, telling stories, preaching narrative texts, topical preaching, expository preaching, evangelistic preaching, preaching to postmoderns, using humor, speaking with authority, and many others. Entries are characterized by intensely practical and vivid writing designed to help preachers deepen their understanding and sharpen their communication skills. The contributors include a virtual Who’s Who of preaching from a cross section of denominations and traditions, such as John Ortberg, Rick Warren, Warren Wiersbe, Alice Mathews, John Piper, Andy Stanley, and many others. Haddon Robinson and Craig Brian Larson—two of today’s most respected voices in preaching—provide editorial oversight.
- Almost 200 articles
- Contributors include John Ortberg, Rick Warren, Warren Wiersbe, Alice Mathews, John Piper, Andy Stanley, and many others
- Articles on calling, interpretation, application, structure, style, delivery, and more
- Detailed subject and name index
- All Scripture references linked to the Bibles in your digital library
- Use the search features in Logos Bible Software to find the exact article you’re looking for!
- Part 1: The High Call of Preaching
- Part 2: The Spiritual Life of the Preacher
- Part 3: Considering Hearers
- Part 4: Interpretation and Application
- Part 5: Structure
- Part 6: Part and Style
- Part 7: Stories and Illustrations
- Part 8: Preparation
- Part 9: Delivery
- Part 10: Special Topics
- Part 11: Evaluation
Praise for the Print Edition
Packed with useful tools that span a wide array of homiletical issues. . . . A tremendous value to preachers seeking to be effective communicators. . . . Pastors will appreciate the many practical ideas, and cautions, offered by the contributors. . . . One of the first volumes a pastor should receive when beginning in ministry. With its brief chapters, the book can be utilized as a chapter-a-day continuing education resource.
- Title: The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching
- Editors: Haddon Robinson, Craig Brian Larson
- Publisher: Zondervan
- Publication Date: 2005
- Pages: 736
About the Editors
Haddon Robinson is the Harold John Ockenga Distinguished Professor of Preaching at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, and he is widely regarded as an expert in the area of preaching. He is also the editor of Biblical Sermons: How Twelve Preachers Apply the Principles of Biblical Preaching.
Craig Brian Larson is chief editor for Christianity Today's PreachingToday.com, an online journal and illustration service. He also pastors a church in Chicago, Illinois. His books include Contemporary Illustrations for Preachers, Teachers, and Writers; Preaching That Connects; and The Art and Craft of Biblical Preaching. He and his family live in the Chicago suburbs.