Be equipped to help people working through trauma and difficult circumstances. Experienced chaplains Patricia and Richard Geyer offer a wealth of wisdom for anyone with a heart to help people in crisis—from life-shaking disasters to quiet crises where there’s no yellow tape to be found. Presenting the experiences of biblical characters who ministered to others, Richard and Patricia inspire and equip modern Christians to do the same. In response to each biblical example, they offer relevant, practical principles for today’s “Good Samaritans” to apply.
Chaplains of the Bible is a valuable resource for disaster relief organizations or other groups who minister to the distressed, as well as pastors, Bible study leaders, and Christians who minister outside the walls of the church. Packed with straightforward advice, it helps readers think through the process of helping people in trauma, while it encourages people of all experience levels with biblical truth.
In the Logos edition, this valuable volume is enhanced by amazing functionality. Scripture citations link directly to English translations, and important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Perform powerful searches to find exactly what you’re looking for. Take the discussion with you using tablet and mobile apps. With Logos Bible Software, the most efficient and comprehensive research tools are in one place, so you get the most out of your study.
- Biblical examples for ministering to the distressed
- Wisdom from experienced chaplains
- Practically focused and full of real world applications
- The Heart of a Chaplain: Who Is a Chaplain’s Neighbor?
- Ministering to the Enemy
- Shipwrecked!—Ministering during a Storm
- Risking Your Life to Help a Fellow Christian
- Creativity in Ministering to Others
- “What Shall I Do?” What a Little Jar of Oil and a Lot of Faith Can Do
- Serving Others in a Natural Disaster
- Ministering to a People at War
- Saving a Suicidal Man in an Earthquake
- Protecting David: A Drama in Four Acts, With an Epilogue
- Solving a Major Problem in the Face of Major Opposition
- A Life or Death Decision “For Such a Time as This”
- Jesus, the Model Chaplain
- Prayers from Chaplains’ Hearts
- Guide for Bible Study
Praise for the Print Edition
In all my training experience, I have never seen such a well-written, easy to read book, fully devoted to biblical perspectives for chaplains.
—Chuck Duby, senior chaplain, Hope Force International
In these pages Dick and Pat Geyer go to the roots of the claim that helping people in time of need is the chief task of the Christian Church.
—Kim Gee, senior pastor, Winfield Bible Church, Woodbine, Maryland
- Title: Chaplains of the Bible: Inspiration for Those Who Help Others in Crisis
- Author: Richard E. Geyer and Patricia M. Geyer
- Publisher: Ambassador International
- Publication Date: 2012
- Pages: 209
About Richard and Patricia Geyer
Richard and Patricia Geyer are senior chaplains ordained by the International Fellowship of Chaplains (IFOC). Patricia serves with the Billy Graham Evangelical Association’s Rapid Response Team, and has served at a number of disaster sites across the US and Haiti. She is also the Crisis Intervention Specialist for the Carroll County Maryland Sheriff’s Office, and she received the National Sheriffs’ Association Medal of Merit in 2012. In addition to being a chaplain, Dick is a writer, teacher, attorney, and former government executive.