The IVP Bible Dictionary Series (8 vols.)
by 17 authors Martin, Ralph P., Davids, Peter H., Evans, Craig A., Porter, Stanley E., Reid, Daniel G., Hawthorne, Gerald F., Green, Joel B., Brown, Jeannine K., Perrin, Nicholas, Boda, Mark J., McConville, J. Gordon, Longman, Tremper, III, Enns, Peter, Arnold, Bill T., Williamson, H. G. M., Baker, David W., Alexander, T. Desmond
IVP, IVP Academic, Inter-Varsity 1993–2013
Unique among reference books on the Bible, the volumes of the IVP Bible Dictionary Series bridge the gap between scholars and those pastors, teachers, students and lay people desiring in-depth treatment of select topics in an accessible and summary format.
Articles cover traditional and contemporary topics, including cross-sectional themes, methods of interpretation, significant historical or cultural background, and each Old and New Testament book as a whole.
In part and in whole, the IVP Bible Dictionary Series presents the fruit of evangelical biblical scholarship at the intersection of the twentieth and twenty-first centuries—committed to the authority of Scripture, utilizing the best of critical methods, and maintaining dialog with contemporary research and challenges facing the church.
The Logos Bible Software edition of these volumes is designed to encourage and stimulate your study and understanding of the Old Testament prophetic, wisdom, and poetic books, as well as the letters of Paul and other New Testament topics. Scripture passages link directly to your English translations and original-language texts, and important theological and exegetical concepts link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. In addition, you can perform powerful searches by topic and find what other authors, scholars, and theologians have to say about subjects like higher criticism of Isaiah, intertextuality, authorship of Lamentations, and other important topics.
Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels is currently in production and will automatically download once it becomes available.
- Provides material from the apostolic fathers and second-century church leaders
- Offers full coverage of the literary dimensions through each topic
- Includes Bible-encyclopedia-length articles on various subjects
- Addresses the full scope of Greco-Roman culture
- Covers Jewish, Hellenistic, and Roman background
- Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch edited by T. Desmond Alexander and David W. Baker
- Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books edited by Bill T. Arnold and H. G. M. Williamson
- Dictionary of the Old Testament: Wisdom, Poetry, and Writings edited by Tremper Longman III and Peter Enns
- Dictionary of the Old Testament: Prophets edited by Mark J. Boda and J. Gordon McConville
- Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, 2nd ed. edited by Joel B. Green
- Dictionary of Paul and His Letters edited by Gerald F. Hawthorne, Ralph P. Martin, and Daniel G. Reid
- Dictionary of New Testament Background edited by Craig A. Evans and Stanley E. Porter
- Dictionary of the Later New Testament and Its Developments edited by Ralph P. Martin and Peter H. Davids
- Title: The IVP Bible Dictionary Series
- Publisher: IVP
- Volumes: 8
- Pages: 8,797