Nothing is more essential than knowing how to worship the God who created you. Worship Matters focuses on the essentials of God-honoring worship, combining biblical foundations with practical application in a way that works in the real world. Bob Kauflin, pastor and noted songwriter, skillfully instructs pastors, musicians, and church leaders so they can root their congregational worship in unchanging scriptural principles, instead of constantly changing cultural trends. The book covers a variety of topics, such as the devastating effects of worshiping the wrong things, how to base your worship on God’s self-revelation rather than your assumptions, the fuel of worship, and the community of worship.
Appropriate for Christians from varied backgrounds and denominations, this book will bring a vital perspective to what you think you understand about praising God.
In the Logos edition of Worship Matters, you get easy access to Scripture texts and to a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Hovering over Scripture references links you instantly to the verse you’re looking for, and with Logos’ advanced features, you can delve into your study of worship like never before.
- Discusses the spiritual aspects of cultivating a devotional life
- Shares the practicalities of putting together a song list
- Unfolds the essentials required to effectively fulfill the call of God
- Part One: The Leader
- The Important Things
- My Heart: What Do I Love?
- My Mind: What Do I Believe?
- My Hands: What Do I Practice?
- My Life: What Do I Model?
- Part Two: The Task
- So What Does a Worship Leader Do?
- A Faithful Worship Leader . . .
- . . . Magnifies the Greatness of God . . .
- . . . In Jesus Christ . . .
- . . . Through the Power of the Holy Spirit . . .
- . . . Skillfully Combining God’s Word . . .
- . . . With Music . . . (Part One: What Kind?)
- . . . With Music . . . (Part Two: Planning Sunday’s Songs)
- . . . Thereby Motivating the Gathered Church . . .
- . . . To Proclaim the Gospel . . .
- . . . To Cherish God’s Presence . . .
- . . . And to Live for God’s Glory
- Part Three: Healthy Tensions
- Guiding Principles
- Transcendent and Immanent
- Head and Heart
- Internal and External
- Vertical and Horizontal
- Planned and Spontaneous
- Rooted and Relevant
- Skilled and Authentic
- For the Church and for Unbelievers
- Event and Everyday
- Part Four: Right Relationships
- Always People
- Your Church
- Your Team
- Your Pastor
- Some Thoughts for Pastors
Praise for the Print Edition
Bob loves God, values theology, and cares about people. This mix is found throughout this wonderful and helpful book. Worship Matters will inspire you as a worshiper and spur you on as a leader of worship.
—Matt Redman, recording artist, song-writer, worship leader, Brighton, UK
Bob Kauflin is teaching a new generation to take corporate worship seriously in a fashion that is simultaneously biblically faithful and addressing today’s culture.
—D. A. Carson, research professor of New Testament, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
This book is thoroughly biblical, comprehensive, balanced, clear, and engaging. Worship leaders must read it, and it will be a great help to anyone interested in finding out what biblical worship is about and how to worship from the heart.
—John M. Frame, J. D. Trimble Chair of Systematic Theology and Philosophy, Reformed Theological Seminary, Orlando
Bob’s approach is humble, yet authoritative; comprehensive, yet inspirational. And if you take his gentle but clear teaching onboard, it will help make you fully equipped in mind, heart, and spirit to lead others in worship. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
—Stuart Townend, Christian song-writer
An outstanding book both for those who lead worship and also for every Christian who wants to worship God more fully. The book is biblical, practical, interesting, wise, and thorough in its treatment of the topic. The next time I teach on worship, I plan to make this the required text.
—Wayne Grudem, research professor of Bible and theology, Phoenix Seminary
Humility. Self-deprecating humor. Practical wisdom. And not just for music leaders. What a refreshing read! I’ve gained from Bob Kauflin, and if you read this, you will too.
—Mark Dever, senior pastor, Capitol Hill Baptist Church, Washington DC
Bob is a pastor, a teacher, and a skilled musician. And this book captures his heart, his zealous pursuit of God, and his many years of real-life experience leading worship. That’s why his book deserves the careful study of pastors and worship leaders alike.
—Joshua Harris, senior pastor, Covenant Life Church, Gaithersburg, Maryland
- Title: Worship Matters: Leading Others to Encounter the Greatness of God
- Author: Bob Kauflin
- Publisher: Crossway
- Publication Date: 2008
- Pages: 304
About Bob Kauflin
Bob Kauflin traveled with the Christian group GLAD for eight years as a songwriter and arranger before becoming a pastor with Sovereign Grace Ministries in 1985. He is now the director of worship development for Sovereign Grace, overseeing its music projects and teaching on congregational worship.