The Presbyterian’s Armoury (3 vols.)•
Hamilton, Adams & Co. 1843–1846
Place Your Bid!Click on the highest price you’d pay. If the final price is lower, that’s what you’ll pay.
- Projected price
George Gillespie was a well-known public speaker and controversialist in the early seventeenth century. His contribution to Presbyterian ecclesial governance and church polity through his writings and debates has had a lasting impact that stretches into today. The Presbyterian’s Armoury was written to compile the historical apologetic works of Scottish Presbyterian ecclesiology, and these two volumes collect numerous writings of George Gillespie and a brief biography of Gillespie written by church historian William M. Hetherington. These writings provide a key look at the emergent Scottish Reformed theology of the seventeenth century and of Scotland’s then-swinging political mood.
Additionally, The Presbyterian’s Armoury contains writings from other leading Scottish Reformers of the seventeenth century—notably, Samuel Rutherford, David Calderwood, James Guthrie, and John Brown of Wamphray—providing first-hand insight into the Reformation and the Presbyterian church taking shape.
In Logos, these writings seamlessly integrate with the rest of your library. References to Scripture and the Westminster Confession link to their sources in your library. These writings also are fully searchable, allowing you to quickly engage with the early-sixteenth-century dialogue surrounding the Scottish Reformation.
- Contains back-and-forth dialogues between Gillespie and his opponents
- Provides direct insight to early seventeenth-century Reformation writings
- Addresses issues of church government and polity
Praise for the Print Edition
Gillespie was one of the ablest, and the most learned controversialists of his day. His works are exceedingly valuable, both for their logic, their learning, and their spirituality. His style is vigorous, though perhaps occasionally turgid. This present edition of his works . . . will be duly prized by those who know their scarcity before.
—The Presbyterian Review and Religious Journal
- The Presbyterian’s Armoury: The Works of George Gillespie, vol. 1 by George Gillespie
- The Presbyterian’s Armoury: The Works of George Gillespie, vol. 2 by George Gillespie
- The Presbyterian’s Armoury: Lex, Rex, or The Law and the Prince by Samuel Rutherford
- Title: The Presbyterian’s Armoury
- Authors: George Gillespie, William M. Hetherington, Samuel Rutherford, David Calderwood, James Guthrie, and John Brown of Wamphray
- Publisher: Hamilton, Adams & Co.
- Publication Date: 1846
- Volumes: 3
- Pages: 1,693