Classic Studies on the Synoptic Problem (5 vols.)
4 publishers A & C Black, Macmillan and Co., Clarendon Press, T. Payne 1764–1911
This collection of classic monographs on the Synoptic problem presents seminal works from eminent scholars that were instrumental in shaping the field of Synoptic scholarship. These foundational texts address major issues in Synoptic scholarship, such as the mixture of shared and unique material in each Synoptic account, and what this reveals about the date, composition, and interrelatedness of the Synoptics. Henry Owen’s innovative Observations on the Four Gospels presents the first formulation of the extremely influential two-Gospel hypothesis. In Horae Synopticae, John C. Hawkins presents an overview of scholarship on the Synoptic problem for an orientation to its status at the beginning of the twentieth century. Abbott and Rushbrooke provide a harmony of the Synoptics, with the important “Triple Tradition” common to all three Synoptics in bold. Abbott’s The Corrections of Mark Adopted by Matthew and Luke presents clues to the solution of the Synoptic problem from supposed Hebrew sources. Oxford Studies in the Synoptic Problem presents a collection of essays covering the most important issues in the Synoptic problem from the faculty of Oxford. These classic texts allow you to understand the foundations and development of this perennial issue in New Testament studies.
In the Logos editions, these valuable volumes are enhanced by amazing functionality. Scripture and ancient-text citations link directly to English translations and original-language texts, and important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Perform powerful searches with the Topic Guide to instantly gather relevant biblical texts and resources, enabling you to jump into the conversation with the foremost scholars on the Synoptic problem. Tablet and mobile apps let you take the discussion with you. With Logos Bible Software, the most efficient and comprehensive research tools are in one place so you get the most out of your study.
For more classic works on the Synoptics, check out the Recensio Synoptica Annotationis Sacrae (9 vols.).
- Classic monographs on the Synoptic problem
- In-depth treatments of one of the most discussed issues in New Testament studies
- Oxford Studies in the Synoptic Problem edited by William Sanday
- The Corrections of Mark Adopted by Matthew and Luke by Edwin A. Abbott
- Horae Synopticae: Contributions to the Study of the Synoptic Problem, 2nd ed., Revised and Supplemented, by John C. Hawkins
- The Common Tradition of the Synoptic Gospels in the Text of the Revised Version by Edwin A. Abbott and William George Rushbrooke
- Observations on the Four Gospels: Tending Chiefly, to Ascertain the Times of Their Publication; and to Illustrate the Form and Manner of their Composition by Henry Owen
- Title: Classic Studies on the Synoptic Problem
- Volumes: 5
- Pages: 1,284