Homosexuality, Marriage, and the Church: Biblical, Counseling, and Religious Liberty Issues
Some religious leaders, taking their cue from popular culture and current politics, are trying to make a case for biblical support of the practice of homosexuality and same-sex marriage. Their efforts create serious confusion while challenging the church’s ability to sensitively address one of the most explosive spiritual and public policy issues of our time.
In this volume, Christian scholars offer a deep resource of material—biblical, clinical, and legal—to untangle the complex web of questions surrounding this contested topic. The authors first provide a frank and rigorous explication of the Bible’s clear teaching. Then they lay out the implications for counseling and the religious liberty of the church and its members. And through it all, they make an impassioned call for love and care for those who are being misled into a walk down a dangerous path. The book includes moving testimonies from several Christians who have lived and struggled with homosexuality in their personal lives and can praise God for empowering them to live for him.
In the threatening environment facing the church and society today, every Christian administrator, attorney, teacher, counselor, pastor, and congregational leader should read this book.
Logos Bible Software dramatically improves the value of this resource by enabling you to find what you’re looking for with unparalleled speed and precision. While you’re reading Homosexuality, Marriage, and the Church, you can easily search for important concepts from various theologians and access dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library.
- Includes a preface by Nicholas Miller
- Provides several personal testimonies
- Offers clear biblical teaching
- Section 1: Theological Issues
- Homosexuality in the Old Testament
- The Scriptural Case for a Male-Female Prerequisite for Sexual Relations: A Critique of the Arguments of Two Adventist Scholars
- Some Attempted Alternatives to Timeless Biblical Condemnation of Homosexual Acts
- Return to Innocence
- Homosexuality and the Bible: What Is at Stake in the Current Debate
- Section 2: Legal Issues
- Should Adventists Care about Protecting Traditional Marriage?
- Wake Up and Smell the Equality: Same-Sex Marriage and Religious Liberty
- Northern Exposure: How the Church Is Faring under Canada’s Same-Sex Marriage Regimen
- Freedom and Marriage
- Same-Sex Marriage and the Declaration of Independence
- Section 3: Counseling Issues
- The Pastoral Applications of a Three-Tier Distinction between Same-Sex Attraction, a Homosexual Orientation, and a Gay Identity
- Ex-Gays? An Extended Longitudinal Study of Attempted Religiously Mediated Change in Sexual Orientation
- The Psychological and Spiritual Care of a Gay Man Who Chose Celibacy: A Case Study
- Sexual Orientation and Skin Color: Deconstructing Key Assumptions in the Debates about Gay Marriage and the Church
- Good News for Adventists Attracted to Their Own Sex
- Section 4: Testimonies
- Homosexuals are God’s Children, Too!
- Into His Marvelous Light
- “Born that Way” and Redeemed by Love
- Bondage to Freedom: From My Plan B to God’s Plan A
- By Beholding His Love
- To Know His Love
- Title: Homosexuality, Marriage, and the Church: Biblical, Counseling, and Religious Liberty Issues
- Editors: Roy Gane, Nicholas P. Miller, and H. Peter Swanson
- Publisher: Andrews University Press
- Publication Date: 2012
- Pages: 600
About the Editors
Roy Gane (PhD, University of California, Berkeley) is a professor of Hebrew Bible and ancient Near Eastern languages at the Theological Seminary of Andrews University (SDA). He is author of a number of scholarly articles and several books, including God’s Faulty Heroes, Altar Call, Ritual Dynamic Structure, Cult and Character: Purification Offerings, Day of Atonement, and Theodicy, and NIV Application Commentary: Leviticus, Numbers.
Nicholas P. Miller is an associate professor of church history and the director of the International Religious Liberty Institute at Andrews University (SDA).
H. Peter Swanson is an assistant professor of pastoral care and the director of the office of assessment at Andrews University (SDA).