Classic Studies on St. Patrick (4 vols.)
4 publishers Macmillan and Co., Macmillan Co., Hodges, Smith and Co., SPCK 1864–1920
Most likely you’ve heard of Saint Patrick. You’ve probably even worn an article of green clothing on the day celebrating this well-known churchman. But do you know who Saint Patrick was? Why has he continued to be so widely known and celebrated over 1,500 years after his death? Much of the life of Saint Patrick is shrouded in mystery and conjecture. In these volumes, Saint Patrick scholars piece together evidence and information from which emerges an intriguing figure—the Apostle to the Irish. Born in Roman Britain, Patrick was captured by raiders at the age of 16 and enslaved in Ireland. After 6 years of servitude, Patrick escaped to his home and family, but would later return to the island of his captivity to bring them the message of Jesus Christ.
This collection contains important classic works on Saint Patrick, such as English translations of his surviving Latin writings, complete with introductions and notes. Additionally, there are several biographies/hagiographies of Saint Patrick, including the seventh-century biography by Muirchu, an early medieval historian and Leinster monk.
The Logos Bible Software edition of this collection is designed to encourage and enhance your study and understanding of early church history and Saint Patrick studies. Scripture passages link directly to your English translations and original-language texts, and important theological and historical concepts link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. In addition, you can perform powerful searches by topic and find what other authors, scholars, and theologians have to say about the Pelagian controversy in Ireland, early Irish Christianity, and many other topics related to the study of Saint Patrick.
- English translations of Saint Patrick’s surviving works
- Rare seventh-century biography of Saint Patrick from a medieval Irish historian
- Several modern biographies by Saint Patrick scholars
- St. Patrick, His Writings and Life by Newport J. D. White
- St. Patrick and His Gallic Friends by F. R. Montgomery Hitchcock
- The Life of St. Patrick and His Place in History by J. B. Bury
- St. Patrick, Apostle of Ireland: A Memoir of His Life and Mission by James Henthorn Todd
- Title: Classic Studies on St. Patrick
- Volumes: 4
- Pages: 1,248