St. Bonaventure of Bagnoregio’s The Soul’s Journey into God is a masterpiece of thirteenth-century scholasticism. This analysis of Bonaventure’s seminal treatise is both comprehensive and uncomplicated to contemporary audiences. Reinvigorating the medieval tradition of critical commentary for the twenty-first century, Peter Dillard’s A Way into Scholasticism: A Companion to St. Bonaventure’s “The Soul’s Journey into God” introduces readers to basic scholastic concepts and arguments by expounding and evaluating Bonaventure’s speculative system. Dillard also highlights the relevance of Bonaventure’s thought for contemporary philosophical theology. The book will appeal to a wide audience, including seminarians, clergy, brothers and sisters of religious orders, students at the advanced undergraduate or graduate levels, professional scholars, and anyone seeking a better understanding of the scholastic intellectual tradition.
Logos Bible Software dramatically improves the value of any resource by enabling you to find what you are looking for with unparalleled speed and precision. While you are reading A Way into Scholasticism, you can easily search for important concepts from various theologians while accessing dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library.
- Provides a critical commentary on St. Bonaventure’s The Soul’s Journey into God
- Studies scholastic philosophical theology
- Addresses fundamental question in epistemology, metaphysics, the philosophy of mind, dogmatic theology, and contemplative mysticism
- Includes a bibliography, glossary, and an index of words
- Critical Inquiry and the Desire to Find the Truth
- Through Things to God
- Our Senses and the Divine Mosaic
- Necessity and Divinity
- God Confiding in Us
- God as Pure Being
- God as Superexcellent Goodness
- Ecstatic Contemplation
- Conclusion: The Pure Land
Praise for the Print Edition
This is a powerful reading and appreciation of Bonaventure’s most famous work, The Soul’s Journey into God . . . In spare, precise, and occasionally elegant prose, Dillard brings a contemporary mentality to bear on Bonaventure’s project and every step involved in the progress through six stages of spiritual growth leading to the possibility of mystical contemplation or ecstasy . . . This would be an excellent text for those needing an introduction to scholasticism as well as for those who feel they have nothing left to learn from scholasticism.
- Title: A Way into Scholasticism: A Companion to St. Bonaventure’s “The Soul’s Journey into God”
- Author: Peter S. Dillard
- Series: Cascade Companions
- Publisher: Wipf & Stock
- Publication Date: 2011
- Pages: 216
About Peter S. Dillard
Peter S. Dillard is a professional philosopher, theologian, and writer living in Tucson, Arizona. He is the author of Heidegger and Philosophical Atheology, A Neo-Scholastic Critique.