Augsburg Fortress Jesus Studies Collection (19 vols.)
by 21 authors Hengel, Martin, Sloyan, Gerard S., Burns, Charlene P. E., Destro, Adriana, Pesce, Mauro, Watson, David F., Lohfink, Gerhard, Song, C. S., Jeremias, Joachim, Stegemann, Ekkehard W., Stegemann, Wolfgang, Horsley, Richard A., Witherington, Ben, III, Beavis, Mary Ann, Arnal, William E., Juel, Donald H., Oakman, Douglas E., Scroggs, Robin, Vermes, Geza, Stewart, Robert B., Smith, Daniel A.
Fortress Press 1977–2012
This collection provides readers with the best in scholarship from well-known names in the field of New Testament and Jesus studies including Ben Witherington III, Richard Horsley, Mary Ann Beavis, and more! Bringing together their expertise, the Augsburg Fortress Jesus Studies Collection offers pastors, students, and laypeople a deeper look at numerous topics surrounding Jesus’ character, power, and impact.
The collection reveals the historical and social setting surrounding Jesus’ ministry. It presents Jesus as a politician and prophetic sage, highlighting his message, impact, activities, and response to the imperial power during the period of his ministry. Several volumes analyze the nature, implications, and historical impact of Christ’s crucifixion.
The collection also studies the historical reality and theological meaning of Jesus’ resurrection, and illustrates the significance of Jesus’ incarnation. It critiques various New Testament hypothesis, including Wrede’s messianic secret, Theissen’s “wandering radicals,” and Jesus’ teaching on basileia. In addition, it provides a social history of the earliest churches, presents an Asian Christology, calls the present-day church to be a “contrast society,” and explores historical and modern-day portrayals of Jesus.
The Logos Bible Software edition of the Augsburg Fortress Jesus Studies Collection is designed to encourage and stimulate your study and understanding of Jesus Christ. Scripture passages link directly to your English translations and to the original-language texts, and important theological concepts link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. In addition, you can perform powerful searches by topic and find what other authors, scholars, and theologians have to say about Jesus.
- Presents various rolls Jesus played
- Provides an in-depth look at the historical and social setting surrounding Christ’s ministry
- Analyzes the impact of Christ’s crucifixion, resurrection, and incarnation
- Crucifixion: In the Ancient World and the Folly of the Message of the Cross by Martin Hengel
- The Crucifixion of Jesus: History, Myth, Faith by Gerard S. Sloyan
- Divine Becoming: Rethinking Jesus and Incarnation by Charlene P.E. Burns
- Encounters with Jesus: The Man in His Place and Time by Ariana Destro and Mauro Pesce
- Honor among Christians: The Cultural Key to the Messianic Secret by David F. Watson
- Jesus and Community: The Social Dimensions of Christian Faith by Gerhard Lohfink
- Jesus and the Message of the New Testament by Joachim Jeremias
- Jesus and the Powers: Conflict, Covenant, and the Hope for the Poor by Richard Horsley
- Jesus and Utopia: Looking for the Kingdom of God in the Roman World by Mary Ann Beavis
- Jesus and the Village Scribes: Galilean Conflicts and the Setting of Q by William E. Arnal
- The Jesus Movement: A Social History of Its First Century by Ekkehard W. Stegemann and Wolfgang Stegemann
- Jesus, the Crucified People by C.S. Song
- Jesus the Sage: The Pilgrimage of Wisdom by Ben Witherington III
- Messianic Exegesis: Christological Interpretation of the Old Testament in Early Christianity by Donald Juel
- The People’s Jesus: Trajectories in Early Christianity by Robin Scroggs
- The Political Aims of Jesus by Douglas E. Oakman
- The Real Jesus: Then and Now by Geza Vermes
- The Resurrection of Jesus: Jesus Dominic Crossan and N.T. Wright in Dialogue edited by Robert B. Stewart
- Revisiting the Empty Tomb: The Early History of Easter by Daniel A. Smith
- Title: Augsburg Fortress Jesus Studies Collection
- Publisher: Augsburg Fortress
- Volumes: 19
- Pages: 4,529