For years a debate has raged over how to define true masculinity and true femininity. While there is agreement that men and women share equally in the privilege of being made in God's image, some views of manhood and womanhood blur God-given gender distinctions.
Wayne Grudem assembled a team of distinguished writers to show how egalitarian views destroy God's ideal for your relationships, marriage, and life purposes.
These writers explore key issues, including the interchangeability of male-female roles, the meaning of submission, and the historical novelty of egalitarian interpretations of Scripture. This book will demonstrate how some views of manhood and womanhood tamper with our understanding of God's character and why the extremes of male domination and feminism destroy the beauty of our sexual differences—differences that celebrate the excellence of men and women as God created us.
Sixteen respected men and women of God apply the biblical view of manhood and womanhood in areas that concern pastors -- from the personal to the practical.
- John Piper, pastor of Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota
- Bruce A. Ware, Senior Associate Dean of the School of Theology and Professor of Christian Theology at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Richard W. Hove, Director of Campus Crusade for Christ at Duke University
- Daniel Doriani, Dean of the Faculty and Professor of New Testament and Covenant Theological Seminary
- Daniel R. Heimbach, Professor of Christian Ethics at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
- Peter Jones, Professor of New Testament at Westminster Theological Seminary in California
Excerpt from Chapter 1
"To be in the image of God is an incredible privilege. It means to be like God and to represent God. No other creatures in all of creation, not even the powerful angels, are said to be in the image of God. It is a privilege given only to us as men and women. We are more like God than any other creatures in the universe, for we alone are in the ‘image of God.’…Any discussion of manhood and womanhood in the Bible must start here."
"I personally think that one reason God has allowed this whole controversy on manhood and womanhood to come into the church at this time is so that we could correct some mistakes, change some wrongful traditions, and become more faithful to Scripture in treating our wives and all women with dignity and respect. The first step in correcting these mistakes is to be fully convinced in our hearts that women share equally with us men in the value and dignity that belongs to being made in the image of God."
- Title: Biblical Foundations for Manhood and Womanhood
- Editor: Wayne Grudem
- Publisher: Crossway
- Publication Date: 2002