This collection is a quintessential look at Martin Luther’s life and beliefs. The only three books of Julius Köstlin that have been translated into English, these volumes contain a wealth of knowledge and decades of research on Luther’s life, struggles, and triumphs. Study the relationship between the events of Martin Luther’s life, the methods of his thinking, and how these informed his theology and, eventually, his reform.
This Logos edition takes your research deeper than ever, with fully-searchable text, hyperlinked Bible verse references and cross-references with other volumes in your library, and instant access to theological concepts and terms through your Bible dictionaries, commentaries, and academic texts. Compare the German Bible as read by Julius Köstlin with the original-language texts with the click of a mouse, or have Luther’s 95 Theses open and read alongside this well-informed theological biography of the most well-known reformer in the history of the church.
- Provides a detailed and in-depth narrative of Luther’s life
- Studies and defends the theology Luther believed in
- Presents an understanding of Martin Luther from someone who devoted a lifetime to researching his life
Praise for Julius Köstlin
‘The investigations of the Reformer,’ says Dr. Julius Köstlin, who is perhaps his best modern interpreter, ‘lead to a clear conclusion that there is, according to the divine order, no external, tangible, final decision in matters of faith.’ . . . Luther, who had both a clear vision and an indomitable moral as well as physical courage, struck at the heart of ecclesiastical imperialism in his doctrine that the final authority in the spiritual realm is within, not without; in the conscience, not in a church or a book.
—Lyman Abbott from The Rights of Man: A Study in Twentieth Century Problems
- The Theology of Luther in Its Historical Development and Inner Harmony, vol. 1, by Julius Köstlin
- The Theology of Luther in Its Historical Development and Inner Harmony, vol. 2, by Julius Köstlin
- Life of Luther, by Julius Köstlin
- Title: The Theology of Luther in Its Historical Development and Inner Harmony
- Author: Julius Köstlin
- Volumes: 3
- Pages: 1,624