Saints and Non-Saints: Some Saintly and Not-So-Saintly Figures from Church History
Saints. Most of us know them only as the names of churches and the grotesque figures in classic paintings and stained-glass windows. But who were these people dubbed “saints”? What are the facts behind the legends—behind the real human beings with all the weaknesses common to mankind who somehow made their mark on history as holy men and women?
Saints and Non-Saints: Some Saintly and Not-So-Saintly Figures from Church History digs into the sense and nonsense of the lives and legends of 15 famous saints, ranging from larger-than-life figures like Augustine to shadowy legends like Nicholas and Valentine. Some were saints in the biblical sense—they knew Christ as their personal Savior—while others were merely religious by human standards. All, however, are fascinating personalities whose lives have profound lessons to teach us.
Logos Bible Software dramatically improves the value of any resource by enabling you to find what you are looking for with unparalleled speed and precision. While you are reading Saints and Non-Saints, you can easily search for important concepts from various theologians while accessing dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library.
- Recounts the stories of 15 famous saints from church history
- Includes a brief history of the Roman Catholic Church
- Features a selected bibliography and index
- Perpetua (181–203)
- John Chrysostom (347–407)
- Augustine of Hippo (354–430)
- Patrick (ca. 389–ca. 461)
- Bernard of Clairvaux (1090–1153)
- Jerome (ca. 342–420)
- Francis of Assisi (1181–1226)
- Joan of Arc (1412–1431)
- Teresa of Avila (1515–1582)
- Cecilia (second century)
- Christopher (third century)
- Valentine (died ca. 270)
- Lucy (late third century)
- Nicholas of Myra (fourth century)
- Wenceslas (907—929)
- Title: Saints and Non-Saints: Some Saintly and Not-So-Saintly Figures from Church History
- Author: Christa Habegger
- Publisher: Ambassador
- Publication Date: 2007
- Pages: 174
About Christa Habegger
Christa Habegger holds BA and MA degrees from Bob Jones University and teaches on the music faculty there. She has written numerous freelance articles for Christian periodicals.