The Zürcher Bibel is historically based on the translation by Huldrych Zwingli. Zwingli's translation grew out of the "Prophezey", an exegetical workshop taking place on every weekday, with the participation of all clerics of Zürich, working at a German rendition of Bible texts for the benefit of the congregation. The New Testament appeared from 1525 to 1529, and later, parts of the Old Testament, with a complete translation in a single volume first printed in 1531. The translation of the Old Testament was revised in 1540, and the New Testament in 1574.
Up to 1665, the language of the translation was based on the written variant of High Alemannic (Swiss German) used for official documents. In 1665, this was abandoned for the emerging Standard German of the chancery of the prince-electorate Saxony-Wittenberg. Fraumünster pastor Johann Caspar Ulrich in the 1755/1756 revision added commentaries, interpretations, and concordances. From this edition, the bible became known as the Zwinglibibel. From 1817, the edition was in the hands of the Zürich Bible and Missionary Society. Another revision dates to 1868, reprinted in 1892.
In 1907, a commission was formed with the purpose of another revision, with the aim of considering as much as possible recent result of biblical scholarship. The revision was completed in 1931, constituting essentially a new translation. In 1984, on the 500th anniversary of Zwingli's birth, another revision was initiated by the General Synod of the Protestant Reformed Church of the Canton Zürich. However, it soon was decided to undertake a new translation of the entire Bible. At a total cost of four million Swiss francs, the project was completed in early 2007 and the Bible was published in print and electronic form in June 2007. This is the most recent translation of the Zürich Bible.
Eine durchgesehene Neuausgabe mit Deuterokanon ist vorbestellbar. Besitzer der vorliegenden Edition erhalten bei Vorbestellung 50% des Kaufpreises als Guthaben erstattet. Details zur Neuausgabe