Tabletalk Magazine, August 2006: The History of the Church in the Sixth Century
Ligonier Ministries 2006
Upon entering a discussion of the sixth century, one often finds little with which he is familiar. Yet despite such unfamiliarity, the work of God through the church of Christ endured — even through the Dark Ages. For this reason, the theme of the August 2006 issue of Tabletalk focuses on the sixth century. While by no means intended to provide a complete history of this century, Tabletalk will aim to present several of its highlights by exploring its historical and theological ramifications.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with Sinclair B. Ferguson, Andrew Hoffecker, Tom N. Nettles, R.C. Sproul Jr., Carl R. Trueman, and Gene Edward Veith. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
The 2006 Bible studies take a careful look at the book of Genesis.
- "The Light of Glory" by Burk Parsons
- "The Battle for Grace Alone" by R. C. Sproul
- "Gregory 'The Great'" by Tom J. Nettles
- "The Benedictine Rule" by Andrew Hoffecker
- "Boethius the Philosopher Theologian" by Carl R. Trueman
- "Our Glorious Inheritance in Christ" by Burk Parsons
- "Our Great Reward" by Derek W. H. Thomas
- "The Justifying Faith of Abraham" by Warren A. Gage
- "More Than Talk" by Chris Larson
- "Columba, Missionary to Scotland" by Sinclair B. Ferguson
- "Bread and Circuses" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "Back to Barbarism" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, August 2006: The History of the Church in the Sixth Century
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: August 2006
- Pages: 63
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.