Possibly no other theme has generated as much debate as the kingdom of God. What is it? When will it arrive? Has it already? In what way? Who are its recipients? And the list goes on. This issue of Tabletalk, however, will not be entertaining such question in any great detail, for it is our desire to share with our readers some of the sweeping themes found in Scripture regarding God’s kingdom — elements upon which all Christians can and should agree. Thus the theme of the December 2007 issue of Tabletalk focuses on the kingdom of God by exploring its revelation in the Word, its inauguration and consummation, and finally its meaning and practice in the life of the church today.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with Iain Duiguid, Dennis E. Johnson, Keith A. Mathison, Scotty Smith, R.C. Sproul Jr., and Gene Edward Veith. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
Since Genesis has such a prominent place in history, the 2007 Bible studies continue from 2006 with Part 2 of this book.
- "Two Kingdoms" by Burk Parsons
- "The King of Kings" by R. C. Sproul
- "Old Expectations" by Iain Duguid
- "Kingdom Life" by Dennis E. Johnson
- "The Coming of the Kingdom" by Keith A. Mathison
- "The Wisdom of Listening" by Burk Parsons
- "The Providence of God" by Derek W. H. Thomas
- "The Faith of Joseph" by Warren A. Gage
- "Everlasting Promises" by John M. Duncan
- "Come, Lord Jesus" by Patrick Lennox
- "Former Things" by A Pastor's Perspective
- "The Children's Crusade" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "God's Other Kingdom" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, December 2007: The Kingdom of God
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: December 2007
- Pages: 83
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.