Are you the best preacher you can be? In Power in the Pulpit, Jerry Vines and Jim Shaddix provide practical help specifically to those charged with the responsibility of delivering weekly sermons. You’ll learn:
- The preparation for exposition. You’ll see how engaging in expository preaching demands that the preacher have certain conviction about his call to ministry, the Bible, his worship, and the ongoing work of God in his life.
- The process of exposition. The authors trace the stages through which the preacher must travel in order to illuminate a text of Scripture and prepare a compelling expository sermon.
- The presentation of the exposition. Here you’ll find the nuts and bolts of effective sermon delivery—after all, successful preaching lies largely in its presentation and communication.
Sermon preparation and delivery are two of the most fulfilling and frustrating experiences anyone can undertake. This book will reduce the frustration and increase the fulfillment. Whether you are a student learning the craft of preaching, or a veteran, Power in the Pulpit will provide you with a rich reservoir of fresh ideas and inspiration.
In the Logos edition, this volume is enhanced by amazing functionality. Important terms link to dictionaries, encyclopedias, and a wealth of other resources in your digital library. Perform powerful searches to find exactly what you’re looking for. Take the discussion with you using tablet and mobile apps. With Logos Bible Software, the most efficient and comprehensive research tools are in one place, so you get the most out of your study.
Praise for the Print Edition
This book is an encyclopedia of practical and useful material for the serious preacher...Whether you’re in your first church or a seasoned preacher, you’ll find both information and inspiration in its pages...
—Warren W. Wiersbe, Distinguished Professor of Preaching, Grand Rapids Baptist Seminary
- Title: Power in the Pulpit: How to Prepare and Deliver Expository Sermons
- Authors: Jerry Vines and Jim Shaddix
- Publisher: Moody Publishers
- Series: Moody Church Leadership Collection
- Publication Date: 1999
- Pages: 400
About the Author
Dr. Jerry Vines is pastor of First Baptist Church, Jacksonville, Florida. He served two terms as president of the Southern Baptist Convention. Dr. Vines has been pastor for more than forty years.
Dr. Jim Shaddix serves as assistant professor of preaching at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary, where he is the director of professional doctoral programs.