Tabletalk Magazine, December 2008: Paradise Lost and Regained
Ligonier Ministries 2008
For more than thirty years, Tabletalk has existed as a magazine for laymen. Generally speaking, laymen receive either very little instruction in the weightier matters of the faith, or the instruction is too academic, thereby making the material largely inaccessible to average laymen. This is the reason Tabletalk exists — to bridge the gap between these two poles, to explain to the people of God important, biblical doctrines and events while admonishing them toward holy living.
For this reason, we will continue to focus on significant issues of the Christian faith, like, for example, how paradise was lost by our first parents and how it was regained by the sacrificial life, death, and resurrection of Christ Jesus. This is the theme of the December 2008 issue of Tabletalk, which intends to explore for its readers these basic elements of Christianity, with hopes of encouraging them to cherish these truths.
Contributors include R.C. Sproul along with Iain d. Campbell, Chris Donato, Robert W. Field, Simon J. Kistemaker, Keith A. Mathison, R.C. Sproul Jr., David VanDrunen, Gene Edward Veith, and Guy Prentiss Waters. Tabletalk features articles about topics central to the Christian faith and daily, in-depth Bible studies.
The 2008 Bible studies examines the gospel of Matthew and the Redeemer who saves His people from their sins.
- "The Mystery of Iniquity" by R. C. Sproul
- "Paradise Created" by Guy Prentiss Waters
- "Paradise Lost" by David VanDrunen
- "Paradise Regained" by Chris Donato
- "The Wondrous Cross" by Keith A. Mathison
- "Christ Forsaken" by Joel R. Beeke
- "The Resurrection of Jesus" by Jerry Bridges
- "A Lingering Obligation" by Tom Ascol
- "Pastor’s Perspective" by Robert W. Field
- "Pro Ecclesia: For the Church" by Simon J. Kistemaker
- "Generation to Generation" by Lain D. Campbell
- "Tolle Lege: Take Up and Read" by Keith A. Mathison
- "Seek Ye First" by R. C. Sproul Jr.
- "Truth and Consequences" by Gene Edward Veith
Praise for the Print Edition
Tabletalk has been a key ingredient in the diet of Christians conscious of their spiritual vitality.
—Michael S. Horton
Month by month, Tabletalk represents an oasis in a desert of false spirituality, mindless Christianity, and vapid conviction. Tabletalk represents theological rigor, biblical Christianity, and authentic Christian devotion. It is an antidote to the world of superficial Christianity. Read it and grow.
—R. Albert Mohler, Jr.
Tabletalk has been a wonderful resource in my own daily walk with the Lord.
- Title: Tabletalk Magazine, December 2008: Paradise Lost and Regained
- Executive Editor: R. C. Sproul
- Editor: Burk Parsons
- Series: Tabletalk
- Publisher: Ligonier Ministries
- Publication Date: December 2008
- Pages: 83
About the Editors
R. C. Sproul is founder and president of Ligonier Ministries and president of Ligonier Academy. He also servers as the senior pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he has written more than seventy books including Defending Your Faith, Abortion: A Rational Look at an Emotional Issue, The Truth of the Cross, Truths We Confess, and commentaries on Romans and John in the Saint Andrew’s Expositional Commentary series.
Burk Parsons serves as editor of Tabletalk and associate pastor of Saint Andrew’s in Sanford, Fla., and he is editor of the books Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace and John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine, and Doxology.